I recently read a news article that is disturbing, and is reflective of an un-biblical mindset that has plagued the Church for years. The article is about a Baptist "church" that recently hired a lesbian couple to be co-pastors of their congregation!
I believe this is happening more and more because the Church does not truly understand the definition of sin:
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
1 John 3:4(KJV)
Most Christians today (but obviously not all, thus the situation the article addresses) consider homosexuality a sin. Many people will even point out that homosexuality is an "abomination" in the eyes of God. However, when I did a word search on "abomination" in the Bible, I was surprised by what I found. Homosexuality is not the only thing the Father considers abominable:
- Improper eating of peace offering, Leviticus 7:18
- Eating unclean things, Leviticus 11
- Homosexuality, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13
- Idolatry, Deuteronomy 7:25-26 , Deuteronomy 27:15 , 1 Kings 11
- Worshiping YHVH the ways pagans worship their gods, aka syncretism, Deuteronomy 12:30-32, 1 Kings 11 , 2 Kings 23 , Isaiah 66:17, Jeremiah 32:35
- False prophets that lead people away from YHVH and His Torah, Deuteronomy 13
- Offering blemished animals for sacrifice, Deuteronomy 17
- Pagan rituals including passing children through the fire, Deuteronomy 18:10-12, Isaiah 66:17, Jeremiah 32:35
- Divination (aka fortune telling), Deuteronomy 18:10-12
- Sorcery, witchcraft, astrology, magic, charmer, wizardry Deuteronomy 18:10-12
- Consulting familiar spirits, Deuteronomy 18:10-12
- Communicating with dead people, Deuteronomy 18:10-12
- Women dressing as men, and vice versa, Deuteronomy 22:5
- Tithing with money received from prostitution or other pagan activities (at least, this is my current understanding of this passage), Deuteronomy 23:18
- Remarrying ex-husband/wife after divorcing, Deuteronomy 24:4 (THIS is actually a very pivotal law that is part of the "mystery" of why Yeshua had to die on the cross!)
- Unjust weights and measures, Deuteronomy 25:13-1, Proverbs 11:1, Proverbs 20:10, Proverbs 20:23
- Perversion, Proverbs 3:32, Proverbs 11:20
- Sowing discord among brothers, Proverbs 6:16-19
- Wickedness (aka deceit, fraud), Proverbs 8:7
- Lying lips, Proverbs 12:22
- Sacrifices of the wicked, Proverbs 15:8 , Proverbs 21:27
- The way of the wicked, Proverbs 15:9
- The thoughts of the wicked, Proverbs 15:26
- Pride, Proverbs 16:5, Ezekiel 16:50
- Kings (leaders) that are wicked, Proverbs 16:12
- Injustice, Proverbs 17:15
- The prayer of one who turns away from the Law, Proverbs 28:9 (THIS one really caught me off guard a couple of years ago!)
- An unjust man, Proverbs 29:27
- Sacrifices of the rebellious, or "going through the motions" with the wrong heart, Isaiah 1
- Unrepentance, Jeremiah 6, Jeremiah 8
- Coveting, Luke 16:15
And this is NOT an exhaustive list!
When we excuse one abomination, but condemn another, then we don't truly believe that sin IS sin - and that it is an affront to the Most Set-Apart God.
I remember reading in Acts 17:6 where it described the Followers of Messiah as those who "turned the world upside down". Today, the world is turning the Church upside down and inside out!
Followers of Messiah MUST be consistent and set-apart in their walk in order to make a difference.
We must believe how the Father defines sin, and stop trying to redefine it to make ourselves feel better. Again - "Whosoever commits sin, transgresses the law - sin is lawlessness." 1 John 3:4
Yeshua warned us in Matthew 7:
Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Master, Master,’ shall enter into the reign of the heavens, but he who is doing the desire of My Father in the heavens.
Many shall say to Me in that day, ‘Master, Master, have we not prophesied in Your Name, and cast out demons in Your Name, and done many mighty works in Your Name?’And then I shall declare to them, ‘I never knew you, depart from Me, you who work lawlessness!
Prayerfully read Psalm 119. Study the Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy), the Psalms,and the Prophets - for these teach us about Messiah! (see Luke 24:27).
I pray that we will return to the Way the Father has laid out in His Torah - the Way Yeshua Himself lived. Yeshua IS the Way! I pray that we will start living truly set-apart, so much so that we, like the Apostles, will turn the world upside down!
Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin