Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Spiritual Parallels in "Tomorrowland"

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
1 Corinthians 13:11.  

Some of my favorite TV programs growing up were Wonder Woman, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, One Day at a Time, Growing Pains, and Family Ties, just to name a few.  Now that I am an adult and a parent, whenever I watch these programs today using my "Mommy lenses", I can see how much of what was in those programs actually did, well, program me! Growing up, I was a strong-willed, independently minded girl, which I attributed to my mother's influence, who was a very strong and independent woman herself.  However, over the years I have realized that entertainment also played a large role in my upbringing. Although, at the time I would have vehemently denied it, writing it off as "Just a TV show!", or "It's just a movie - it's not real!"  

Last night my husband and I went to see the movie Tomorrowland, a Walt Disney production science-fiction type movie.  I didn't know what to expect, so I had no predetermined ideas concerning the movie.  Honestly, I did not find it very entertaining, but perhaps I would have if I had waited until it was in the "dollar theater".  I will say that all throughout the movie I couldn't help but recognize some programming of sorts, or to use a stronger word - propaganda.  Dare I say - there are even spiritual parallels woven throughout the story.  

Now I know that there are many people who might roll their eyes at me and blow it off as, "It's just a movie!".  I've already established that I once thought that way as well.  And honestly, I refrain from sharing many things that I think (I know you might find that shocking) because I might be considered crazy or weird.  But I guess I'm reaching that age where I don't care what people think about me.  

Before I go into the spiritual parallels that I noticed in the movie, I'm going to share why I think they even exist. Believers in Christ are exhorted in Ephesians 6:10-17: 


 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

There is a spiritual battle going on, and since it is spiritual, most of it takes place out of our physical capacity to see.  But one of the ways we are able to see it manifested is in the entertainment world: movies, TV shows, music, etc.  The devil does not want anyone to know that there is a spiritual battle.  He goes out of his way to make such things seem ridiculous, and Tomorrowland reflects this mentality.  

SPOILERS AHEAD

I was surprised to find that Tomorrowland is an apocalyptic movie.  It is full of images of nuclear bomb explosions, riots, and natural disasters.  In fact, at the beginning of the movie, the main character is shown in different classes at school where her instructors are teaching the end of the world, and of course each teacher comes across as a crazed lunatic obsessed with man-made global warming.  The girl is desperate to find out what can be done, but no one has the answer.   This girl, Casey, is chosen, or "recruited", by Athena, who comes from the future. It is thought that Casey IS the answer to the world's problems.  Athena takes Casey to Frank, a man who, as a boy, had already been to the future, but apparently built something that messed everything up, so he was exiled back to the present day.  However, he was needed (for some reason that wasn't made clear to me) to get Casey to Tomorrowland so that she could fix whatever it was he created (side note: Casey never really did anything, she just had a good idea, which if Frank was so brilliant to begin with, he should have thought of already).  Of course there are robot type people who are trying to kill them both along the way.  They finally get to Tomorrowland and discover that the head honcho there, Nix, is really the one who has been putting the "doom and gloom" thoughts in the people's minds, which is actually causing the world to come to an end.  He is doing this because he doesn't want anyone to cross over into Tomorrowland (the future?).  Casey's big idea is to destroy the thing that Frank had made that was making it possible for Nix to control the people's minds, and then everything would fix itself (yeah, I know).  After much struggle and of course much destruction of things (including the female robot who went to get Casey), Frank's invention was destroyed.  The movie ends with Frank and Casey addressing new recruits to go back into, I don't even know what to call it - the real world, the past, Earth?  - I don't know!  Frank stands before them flashing a huge smile with a twinkle in his eye, speaking in an "It's all going to be OK" tone.  Casey is there with him and hands out these pins for the recruits to take to people (other dreamers) so that they can cross over into Tomorrowland.  

So, what I saw in the movie is that yes, the world is coming to an end, but it's all God's fault (represented by Nix).  He can stop it, but he refuses to because he is mean and selfish and doesn't really want anyone in heaven (Tomorrowland).  

Frank and Casey are the true saviors - representative of the Antichrist and the False Prophet.  The pins that are to be handed out represent the mark of the beast, which will be the only way anyone can buy or sell in the last days when that time really comes.  (read the entire book of Revelation)

There! I said it!  

Yes, there really is a time when the world as we know it will end.  God IS in control, but He is warning everyone ahead of time so that they can choose to repent and follow Him, thus making it possible for anyone who chooses to enter into His kingdom.  
 
The Lord is righteous in all his ways
and faithful in all he does.
The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
He fulfills the desires of those who fear him;
he hears their cry and saves them.
 Psalm 145:17-19
 
The devil knows all of this and is moving ahead at full speed deceiving the masses so that they will think there is nothing to it!  It's the old, "Did God really say?" lie that he first told in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1).  The devil is unoriginal - he copies everything that God does!  The devil is also desperate, and he wants nothing more than to keep as many people as possible out of the kingdom of God.  Don't let him lie to you!  Don't let him make you think that God isn't real, heaven isn't real, or that hell isn't real!  

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear people say that they don't believe in God because they can't see Him.  More often than not, these same people will ask others to send them "good vibes" or "good thoughts" whenever they are having a hard time.  Can vibes or thoughts be seen? No! Is there any power in vibes or thoughts? So why are those things acceptable to believe in but not God?  It all comes down to accountability.  We don't want to be held accountable.  It's not comfy to think about standing before an Almighty, Holy God Who will judge us!  But not believing in Him does not negate His existence!  A person desiring "good vibes" or "good thoughts" is indicative of their inner most being KNOWING that there is someone higher than themselves.  Romans 1:18-20 states it clearly: "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Again, I want to encourage you - don't let the devil lie to you!  Call out to God and He will answer!  

  Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Isaiah 55:6

 If from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soul.  Deuteronomy 4:29 

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.  Romans 3:23 

If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  Romans 10:9 

 


Oh, and the very last scene of the movie shows the "dreamers" in a wheat field, which reminded me of the verse where Jesus said: "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Luke 10:2)







 



 

No comments: