Saturday, November 15, 2014

New Bible Study

I've decided to begin a new Bible study on the ways and names of God.  As I did on my study of prayer, I will simply read through the Bible and mark every reference of His ways and names, and write them down in a notebook. This time, however, instead of starting in Genesis and reading through all of the Old Testament before reading the New Testament, I've decided to read one Old Testament book and then one New Testament book. I hope doing it this way will give it a fresher feel to my study methods. 

This morning I read Genesis 1, and I want to share my summary of the chapter:

God is very intentional when He speaks and does things.  From the literal beginning of time He put in place a way for mankind to know of His existence.  He put the sun, moon, and stars in place for signs even before He created mankind.  When He did create man and woman, He created them in His own image.  In other words, they looked just like their Daddy!  There was to be no doubt in the heart of man that God is real.  

Not only did God provide signs in the sky but He also provided everything that man would need to live.  He told man that every plant and tree of the whole earth was to be food for them (I don't think I've ever noticed the "whole" earth part before.  I always pictured in my mind that they were designated only to the garden of Eden).  So, when God provides - He provides abundantly

God provided physically for mankind and spiritually.  Genesis 1:28 says that God "blessed" them. 

My observations from Genesis 1 on the ways/names of God are:

God creates 
God speaks
God separates*
God blesses
God instructs
God provides
*(dark/light, waters above/below, water/dry ground)


 

2 comments:

Lisa Laree said...

Great idea for a study! You'll get a lot out of that...and so will we :-)

Christy said...

I am looking forward to what God is going to reveal to me about Himself. If you study this as well, I'd love to hear about what God shows you.

Blessings!