Thursday, November 27, 2014

Life Matters

 Here is a continuation of my summary of Genesis. I apologize if it sounds rambled. 


I love that first verse in Genesis 8: "God remembered Noah..." Who doesn't want to be remembered?  

I can't imagine being shut in that ark and floating and drifting for all those months!  But just as God sent the rain, He sent a wind over the earth to recede the waters.  I wonder if it was a violent wind that rocked the boat just as much as the waves must have. 

After everyone was off the ark and back onto dry ground, Noah presented an offering to the LORD.  This pleased God.  Finally able to leave the ark after all that time and the first thing that Noah did was to sacrifice an offering to God. I want that to be my mindset after I go through raging storms! It is recorded that God, "said in His heart: 'Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood...'" After reading that, I thought, "God talks to Himself!", and for some reason this made me smile. 

The other thing from this verse that made me smile is that because of one man - Noah - God determined not to curse the earth again.  The righteousness of one person has a huge impact

1 Samuel 26:23a 
The Lord rewards everyone for their righteousness and faithfulness.
  
Psalm 18:20   
The Lord has dealt with me according to my righteousness;
    according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.

 Psalm 33:5
The Lord loves righteousness and justice;
    the earth is full of his unfailing love.

Proverbs 13:6
Righteousness guards the person of integrity,
    but wickedness overthrows the sinner.


 Again it is recorded that God blessed Noah (and his sons).  The whole earth has been destroyed because of man's wickedness.  God provides for Noah and his family by giving them permission to now eat meat.  But there are restrictions.  God instructs them not to eat meat with its lifeblood still in it because He wants to point our that life - especially human life - matters! God then distinguishes that humans are more important than animals that every life will be accounted for! Why? Because man was made in the image of God

Genesis 9:4-6
 But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being.
“Whoever sheds human blood,
    by humans shall their blood be shed;
for in the image of God
    has God made mankind.

God then makes a covenant never to destroy the earth again by flood.  And to give Noah and everyone after him a reminder of this promise, God provides the rainbow as a symbol. God gives us signs.  God is a covenant maker and a covenant keeper.  



God remembers
God is pleased with the righteous
God is a covenant maker


God blesses
God provides
God restricts
God distinguishes man over animals
God gives signs 
 

No comments: