Sunday, July 6, 2014

Breeze or Bees

The congregation I belong to has been going through Romans 12 for the past six weeks.  One of the main principles that is emphasized in this chapter is that of transforming ourselves by the renewing of our minds.  This is also a principle that is strongly emphasized and encouraged in the Freedom in Christ Ministry (FICM).  FICM has played a very dominant role in my life.  God used this ministry to heal me from depression.  I have shared this many times before here on this blog, so I won't go into details again. 

What I do want to share is how God recently reminded me (again) of the importance of my mind-set.  I was working in the garden on a very pleasant day, and I was taking my time searching through the squash and zucchini plants.  I began to notice the breeze that was gently blowing and I was thoroughly enjoying my time outside.  The breeze was peaceful and I felt such calmness.  However, a few minutes later my attention shifted to the many bees that were buzzing around the blossoms on the plants.  They were only doing their job of pollinating, and at first they didn't bother me.  But the more I paid attention to them - or set my mind on listening to them - the more I began to feel anxious.  What if one or more of them decided to sting me?  I reminded myself that they really did not mean me any harm.  I told myself to go back to listening to the breeze, so that's what I did.  I set my mind on the breeze instead of the bees, and once again I felt peace. 

Such a simple act - changing my mind-set from the bees to the breeze!  How often do I miss out on peace because of what I choose to set my mind on?  More often than I care to admit.  Even though I have been through the Steps to Freedom, I still have my struggles.  Thankfully, the Steps to Freedom gave me the tools that I needed to recognize my struggles sooner than before, so now it doesn't take me quite as long as it used to to address things.  By the grace of God, I can more easily admit when I've slipped back into old thought patterns that lead to sin. 

What is your mind set on?  If you need help addressing this very important aspect of your life, let me encourage you to read Victory Over the Darkness and The Bondage Breaker.  These are the two main books that God used to help me. Oh, and you can read more about my story here.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2

No comments: