Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rolling with the Dogs or Walking in Righteousness?




Our dog, Sadie, has rolled in poo two times in two days! (She has done this sort of thing before, but never this close together.)  This greatly frustrated me and I walked around ranting and yelling at her because of it!

After bathing her - again - and while washing out the tub, I asked the Lord what He could teach me from this.  This is what came to my mind:

When I choose to sin, I am basically saying that God's bathing me, or cleansing me from unrighteousness, was not good enough.  I'm stating that I would rather roll in and be covered in poo! Other dogs might be attracted to me and welcome me into their pack, but to my Master, well - I stink!  My Master went to the trouble of stooping down to pick me up, carry me to the washing tub of the cross and cover my sin with the blood of Christ!  He then toweled me off, set my feet upon the rock of Jesus Christ, and clothed me in His righteousness!  So why do I then walk away clean and smelling sweet, only to go out and willingly roll in the stench of the world?

Well, I'm so thankful that God doesn't react to me the way I did to Sadie - by yelling at her and telling her how much she frustrates me.  No.  God is patient and kind, slow to anger and showing compassion (see Psalm 103:8).  He is my loving Master, Who time after time lovingly points out the sin I've allowed back in.  He then again stoops down to pick me up and washes over me with His grace!  

Oh Lord, You are too good to me!  Please help me to be more like You.  Even with this furry creature, help me to demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control.  Thank You for not acting inconvenienced whenever I sin against You, but instead display yet again Your steadfast love that never ceases!  Holy Spirit, enable to me walk in the righteousness of Christ, transformed by the renewing of my mind and no longer conformed to the pattern of this world.  May my life reflect the cleansing Christ has done in me and for me when He died on the cross for me and rose again to everlasting life! 

  


No comments: