Friday, January 3, 2014

Living, Breathing Miracle!

I am currently reading the book, Welcome, Holy Spirit, by author Benny Hinn. The chapter I am reading is about the different names of the Holy Spirit.  Among those names He is known as The Spirit of Life. I want to share this portion of the book from pages 109-110 with you:

     I love the words of the Lord Jesus, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly" (John 10:10).  Abundant life - there is something so compelling about that.  Something that says within us, "Yes, I must have this." And who ministers this abundant life to us? The Holy Spirit. The Lord Jesus said, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life" (John 6:63).  Now the life that's being referred to is salvation, but it is also true that "what God promises for eternity, He begins to do in this lifetime." 

      Oh my dear friend, when the Spirit of the Lord comes, He brings life, breaking the power of canceled sin and death as the hymn says. And not just endless life, but better life right now.  Paul says, "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death" (Rom. 8:2). 

     Are you experiencing all the life the Holy Spirit has for you?  Someone gave me this quote, and I think it sums up the issue so magnificently: "I believe that only one person in a thousand knows the trick of really living in the present. Most of us spend fifty-eight minutes each hour either living in the past, regretting for lost joys, or feeling shame for things badly done (both utterly useless and weakening); or living in the future which we either long for or dread.  The only way to live is to accept each minute as an unrepeatable miracle, which is exactly what it is - a miracle that will not be repeated."  The Spirit of the Lord is waiting just now to heal your past, guarantee your future, liberate you to experience abundant life right now.

I thought this was very relevant considering we just began a new year.  The quote the author shared talks about how we waste our time by not living in the present. But this part particularly spoke to me: "The only way to live is to accept each minute as an unrepeatable miracle, which is exactly what it is - a miracle that will not be repeated."  I started thinking about how we typically take life in general for granted.  Sadly, many people, including Followers of Christ, don't think that miracles still happen today.  So what I want to challenge you to do, and I'm including myself in this challenge, is to take time each day to stop and think.  Think about the fact that your lungs are taking in air, your heart is beating, your eyes are blinking, you are regularly swallowing - ALL without you telling your body to do these things! The fact that we are alive IS a miracle!  And if you are a Follower of Christ, not only are you physically alive, but you are spiritually alive as well!  That means that you will only experience physical death!  That is what Jesus meant when He said that He came to give us "abundant life".  How amazing is that?! 

Again, my challenge to you this year is to stop and think about what a living, breathing miracle you are! 

Psalm 139:13-19 

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.




No comments: