Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Peaceful in Rebellion

I started reading the book of Jonah this morning.  I actually felt a bit reluctant, I guess perhaps it's because I'm familiar with Jonah and resemble him more than I'd like to admit. For those of you who are not familiar with Jonah, I encourage you to read (or listen) to the book here.

Jonah rebelled against God. Plain and simple.  God told him to do something very specific and Jonah refused.  Instead of going where God told him to go and doing what God told him to do, Jonah ran in the opposite direction.  He bought passage on a ship, and while on that ship God caused a huge storm to come upon it.  The storm was so severe that the sailors were dumping their cargo and crying out to their gods.  Finally, the captain realized that Jonah was nowhere to be found, so he went below deck to look for him.  Would you believe that Jonah was sleeping?  He was so peaceful in his rebellion that he was able to sleep through a major storm while on the sea!    WOW! Child of God, have you ever been, or ARE you, in rebellion to the point that it no longer bothers you? Do you realize that your rebellion not only puts you in the middle of a storm, but also those around you as well?  Jonah was not the only one of that ship! Other men, who were going about their daily lives, shipping cargo from one place to another, were right there in the middle of the sea being tossed and battered by the waves that were brought on because of Jonah's sin. 

Sin has consequences.  

The choices we make affect us AND those around us.  Galatians 6:7 warns us: 

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." 

 Not only will you, Child of God, reap the consequences, but those closest to you will as well, in one way or another. 

I speak from personal experience.  I admitted earlier that I was reluctant to read the book of Jonah.  It's because I once was Jonah.  I lived in out-right rebellion of God's will for me.  I lived for self, and boy, did I pay the price!  I hurt myself, I hurt my family, but worse - I hurt God.   

Sin has consequences.  There is always a ripple effect.

Child of God, if you are living in rebellion - REPENT!  Reader, if you cannot honestly say that you are a child of God - REPENT!  

If you continue reading the book of Jonah, you will see that all God wanted was for people to be restored to Him.  His greatest desire is to have fellowship with all men.  He moved heaven and earth in order to restore our relationship to Him, as we so clearly see in John 3:16:

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting life." 

Call on the name of the LORD today.  Confess, repent and live! 

 

No comments: