Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Glass Jars

God has had me on a journey for the past few years.  Technically I guess you could say He has had me on a journey all of my life, but in the past few years I have come to be more aware of it. Part of the journey has been in learning how to to hear His voice and, more importantly, to recognize His voice.  God has used various authors of books, a few of my friends, fewer pastors/teachers, and of course, the Bible, to help me on this journey.

One of the things that I have learned along the way is to practice being still.  Many of us know the verse: "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10), but how many of us know how?  One of the books that God has used in my life (and I think I have mentioned it before) is called Can You Hear Me? Tuning Into the God Who Speaks by Brad Jersak. In the book, Brad explains the art of being still by giving exercises at the end of each chapter.  Another book that has helped me is How to Hear God's Voice (recently re-titled 4 Keys to Hearing God's Voice) by Mark Virkler.  He does a great job of making things simple.

Now I want to share something intimate with you.  It's a journal entry of mine from July 19, 2012.  It was during one of my "being still" mornings. I was reading through Psalms & I had a conversation with the Lord:

ME: The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures...

ME: Lord, I'm going to lie down in this green pasture I picture in my mind.  I see You sitting underneath a tree, watching me.  What do you want me to see? 
Lord, You have a smile on Your face.  I see a glass jar in my hand.  Why am I holding a glass jar? 

JESUS: I know how you like to store things in jars.  You like to see the colors.  You like to store useful things.  I am the Giver of all good things & I am going to give you surprises to store in your glass jar.  They will be things that will be useful to you.  You can take them out later when you need them.  In the meantime, you can look at the jar & see the beautiful things I've given you. 

ME: Lord, thank You for delighting in giving me such good things! I can't wait to see what You are going to put in my glass jar!  
Lord, are You ready for me to go on to the still waters, or should I lie back down here in the green pasture?  Because, if You want, I'm ready to go on, but I'll lie back down here and wait if You want. 

JESUS: Let's just kick back & wait here a while.  Let's think about the Father. 

ME: Yes, Lord. 

Now I doubt that this means anything to you, Reader, but it made my soul sing!  Since then the Lord has been faithful in putting things in my glass jar!  Things like a word of encouragement from my husband, a friend, or even a stranger.  Things like one - or both - of my kids doing something without my asking.  Things like giving me opportunities to share the love of Christ with someone.  Things like being my defender against those who opposed me.  All manner of things! 

So why am I sharing this with you?  Because I want to encourage you to start your own journey with the Lord.  He desires to have an intimate relationship with everyone who calls on Him!  If you are a follower of Christ, then be assured that you can hear His voice (John 10)!  If you are not a follower of Christ, you too can hear His voice!  He is calling you to search for Him (see Isaiah 55:6).  He promises that if we seek Him, we WILL find Him (see Deuteronomy 4:29)!  Call on the Lord, and be saved (see Acts 2:21)!  What does that mean?  It means to call out to Jesus Christ, admitting that you need Him.  I'm not going to give you what to say word-for-word, because if you genuinely want to know the Lord, you will find the words.  

I hope that in the days to come, you will start to recognize the things the Lord is giving to you to put in your own glass jar!









3 comments:

Naomi Stephens said...

Christy, thank you! This spoke volumes to me. I wish I could show you all my glass jars, literally. I love putting treasures in them. The Lord is leading me similarly. I needed this today.

Christy said...

Naomi, I'm so glad it was encouraging to you! I'm excited to hear that God is leading you similarly! Please feel free to share with me in detail some day if you like.

leighschildren.blogspot.com said...

This is very encouraging. I hang on to Jeremiah 29:11, some days when you can't feel Him, Mother Theresa says to hold on to what you know about Him.