Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Messenger

Jeremiah is known as the "Weeping Prophet" because of how earnestly he proclaimed the Word of the LORD & yet he did not see the people respond in obedience. For 40 years he prophesied!  God frequently reassures Jeremiah that He is with him and that He will be his defender.  However, in chapter 15 God also reminds Jeremiah that he must also repent:

Jeremiah 15:19-20

"Therefore this is what the LORD says: 'If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve Me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be My spokesmanLet this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.  I will make you a wall to this people, a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you to rescue and save you', declares the LORD."

The messenger is not exempt from the message!

Everyone is held responsible for their own personal response to God and His Word.  If we respond in obedience we have God's promise of protection.  However, if we reject the Word of the LORD, He removes His protective hand and we are then subject to His rebuke.

I can't help but think of the times when my children were little and their daddy and I had to discipline them.  It truly was painful for us to lift our hands and inflict pain on them - temporary as it was.  Yet we knew that if pain was not experienced, they would not realize the severity of their actions and they would not grow in understanding.  God does not delight in punishing His children any more than my husband and I did.  But He knows how necessary it is.  The discipline of God is an act of love (Proverbs 3:11-13).  His warnings are for our benefit.  We must listen and respond to Him with trust, because He knows what is best.


No comments: