Friday, June 7, 2013

STOP Compromising!

People are so fickle.  We tend to love, admire and follow the things that feed our selfish fleshly desires.  We also give in to whatever is easier or whatever won't "rock the boat". By the way, when I say "we", I mean the Church. We have compromised the Gospel of Christ and we are reaping what we've sown.  Christianity is being attacked more and more on a daily basis.  The most recent compromise that I am aware of is the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) caving in to the homosexual agenda.  Some might not consider the BSA as the "Church", but they have long used as their motto (or oath)  a dedication to God and Godly principles, which makes their current stance so similar to the marrying of people with "detestable practices" of which Ezra is lamenting (see below).

Our compromising has fueled those pushing the homosexual agenda. Now Christian business owners who will NOT compromise, are being sued for refusing to provide services for homosexual weddings, overnight sleeping accommodations, etc.  These businesses are also now being forced by our government to provide pharmaceuticals that contradict the Biblical principles and understanding of life.  Forgive me for not including links to specific news articles on these events, but I'm sure most of you are aware of them, and if not, you can easily search for the information on the Internet. 

Ezra is an excellent example for us in knowing how to respond to those who compromise.  In the book of Ezra, chapters 9-10, we read:

 Then, at the evening sacrifice, I rose from my self-abasement, with my tunic and cloak torn, and fell on my knees with my hands spread out to the Lord my God  and prayed:
“I am too ashamed and disgraced, my God, to lift up my face to you, because our sins are higher than our heads and our guilt has reached to the heavens.  From the days of our ancestors until now, our guilt has been great. Because of our sins, we and our kings and our priests have been subjected to the sword and captivity, to pillage and humiliation at the hand of foreign kings, as it is today.
 “But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place in his sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.  Though we are slaves, our God has not forsaken us in our bondage. He has shown us kindness in the sight of the kings of Persia: He has granted us new life to rebuild the house of our God and repair its ruins, and he has given us a wall of protection in Judah and Jerusalem.
 “But now, our God, what can we say after this? For we have forsaken the commands  you gave through your servants the prophets when you said: ‘The land you are entering to possess is a land polluted by the corruption of its peoples. By their detestable practices they have filled it with their impurity from one end to the other.  Therefore, do not give your daughters in marriage to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. Do not seek a treaty of friendship with them at any time, that you may be strong and eat the good things of the land and leave it to your children as an everlasting inheritance.’
 “What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins deserved and have given us a remnant like this.  Shall we then break your commands again and intermarry with the peoples who commit such detestable practices? Would you not be angry enough with us to destroy us, leaving us no remnant or survivor?  Lord, the God of Israel, you are righteous! We are left this day as a remnant. Here we are before you in our guilt, though because of it not one of us can stand in your presence.” (emphasis mine)

I made a point to bold the words "we", "our", "us" because this is yet another example of a person crying out to God on behalf of others as well as himself.  Yes, we are to confess our own personal sins, but we are also to acknowledge the corporate sins of God's people.  I know some might be tired of my pointing this out, but I feel that I must because God keeps pointing it out to me!  Some might think that this is because God is working in ME.  I agree.  But my spirit is compelled by the Holy Spirit to speak this truth to God's people.  We obviously need to hear something more than once or else we would have obeyed in this area already.  

I will continue to exhort God's people to seek His face, humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked ways so that God will THEN hear from heaven and heal our land!  The World is bleeding and I truly believe it is because the Church has compromised and opened us up to attack - spiritual and physical.  

Church - repent! Seek the LORD while He may yet still be found!  Stop compromising!  Do not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the POWER OF GOD TO SALVATION for everyone who believes! 




1 comment:

Xanthorpe said...

Truly there are things happening in this country that defy God's Word. Because (in part) of the recent developments which you have highlighted, I often struggle with loving my neighbor as myself or loving my "enemy" as Jesus instructed us to do. The world does not often understand the ethos of "hate the sin but love the sinner".

Would it be fair to say that in the time that Ezra prophesied that the Israel he, Nehemiah and others returned to was not the Israel that they left?

Clearly, God's call to the Hebrews was to forsake all other gods and practices and devote themselves wholly to Him. They failed in this calling and that was a primary reason for the exile. But wasn't the continued failure of the Israelites related in some way to their (and our) inability to remain holy in accordance with the law?

We are a fallen people and we live in a fallen world. Surely, I wish I had an answer to the encroachment of ungodly practices that are continually changing the nature of our country.

I asked a question on Facebook this morning: "It's Friday; what would you do if you were shipwrecked on the way to prison?"

According to Paul, the answer is something like, "Make it to shore, encourage and help my fellow castaways, start a big bonfire to help keep others warm, maybe try not to get bit by a viper (sorry...I HATE snakes), and then help the guards who had survived find another ship so they could continue taking me to prison and not get in trouble."

Under the new covenant, we are no longer constrained by the law; we are set free by our faith, through the Grace of God. Perhaps the country we yearn for - that one nation, under God - is not really here, but is the one which awaits us in eternity?

Excellent thoughts for the day; thank you.

X

p.s. Very awesome devotional at VBX Wednesday evening :-)