Friday, January 11, 2013

Other Food

While reading in the book of Numbers, specifically the 11th chapter, I read about the Israelites complaining to Moses about the lack of variety in their diet.  God was providing them with manna from heaven, but after a period of time, they began to want more.  They wanted something - different

Over and over we see that when God's people cry out to Him, He listens.  God is a responsive God.  He desires to give us good things (see Deut.6:10-12).  However, there are times when our wants are not legitimate.  That was the case in the Numbers 11 passage.  The people had grown discontented with God's provision.  Still, He answered.  He informed Moses that He would send quail for the people of Israel to feast upon.  So much quail that they soon would have it "until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it" (Numb. 11:20).  Why? God continues, "...because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before Him, saying, 'Why did we ever leave Egypt?'" 

After reading through this chapter a couple of times, I couldn't help but ask God to please help me not to be like these people "who craved other food" (Numb. 11:34).  I asked God to help me to be content with such things as I have, for He Himself has said that He will never leave me nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5).

I strongly believe that America is headed for difficult times.  My family and I might be in a situation where we have to eat the same thing day after day because it's all we can afford. I don't want to be a person who craves any thing other than what God provides - physically or spiritually. How about you?




No comments: