Thursday, December 27, 2012

Painful Reminder

Last night I went to bed with back pain.  This morning I awoke with even more discomfort making me realize that I have a kidney infection.  This isn't the first time.  This could have been prevented.  You see, I have over indulged in sugar yet again and now I am reaping the consequences.  It is a painful reminder that we will reap what we sow (see Galatians 6:7).

Now I know that sugar is not the greatest analogy for sin.  After all, sugar in and of itself is NOT sinful.  However, it did remind me of the truth that followers of Christ cannot engage in the things of the world and not be affected.  We kid ourselves, though, don't we?  Just like I was kidding myself every time I picked up a chocolate almond cluster and shoved it into my mouth.  I thought, "A little bit won't hurt me" and "It's only during the holidays", but after several trips to the candy dish, a little become too much and now I am in more than a little discomfort.

Thankfully, there is a cure.  I know what needs to be done to get well.  First of all, I must STOP eating and drinking things with sugar in them.  Second, I need to drink a LOT of water.  And third, I need take the homeopathic treatments that have helped me in the past.  If I do these things, I'm confident I will get well.

Spiritually speaking, I also know what needs to be done to be well and stay well.  First, I need to repent of any sin in my life: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).  Second, I need to drink of the Living Water - a LOT, and third I need to pray so that I can be in communication with God, Who has helped me in the past.

A painful reminder of simple truths. 


No comments: