Monday, September 17, 2012

Being Whole

Psalm 119:89-93
Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulfulness continues through all generations; 
you established the earth, and it endures.
Your laws endure to this day,
for all things serve you.
If your law had not been my delight 
I would have perished in my 
affliction.
I will never forget your precepts, 
for by them you have preserved my life.

There were times in my life when I struggled just to get out of bed.  Depression took hold of me during my teen years and I wrestled with it well into adulthood.  Looking back I can see where at times the issue was most likely hormonal, other times chemical, but there were also spiritual elements to it as well.  You see, God has created us all as spiritual and physical beings.  We can't separate the two on this side of heaven (or hell).  

I realize now the areas where I gave Satan a foothold in my life, whether it be through the entertainment I participated in, the people I associated with or rebelling against God's will for my life.  Again, looking back I can also see the faithfulness of God.  Even through my periods of rebellion, God's word reminded me of His love.  I knew deep within that what God said was best for me, but for whatever reason, I chose to ignore it and try things my own way, all the while asking God to bless it!  

I won't go into every detail of my past experiences with depression and rebellion.  I just wanted to briefly share the fact that I DO know what it's like to struggle.  There were times when I considered taking my life (notice I said "times").  But again, God is faithful.  He wasn't finished with me.  After all, I had been doing things MY way for so long, but He wanted HIS way.  Now don't get me wrong, God didn't force His will on me; He's not like that.  He just allowed me to give it a go and when I finally realized my way was wrong and I submitted to Him, He then graciously began doing His thing.   Philippians 1:6 tells us: "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." 

So my hope in sharing this little tidbit about myself is that I will encourage those who are struggling to seek God and do things His way.  It's not always easy, but nothing worth doing ever is, is it?  Easy is over-rated, anyway.  Another thing I wanted to point out is that both the physical AND spiritual aspects need to be addressed. 

Before I stop, I wanted to share some tools that God used in my life to set me free.  If you want to talk about them, contact me.  Concerning the spiritual issues, Freedom in Christ Ministries made a huge impact:



After reading those books, I went through a "Freedom Appointment", which was essential.  For more info on that, contact me or visit their website (linked above). 

Another essential factor was addressing the physical aspect.  I went to Creative Healing, owned and operated by a wonderful Christian lady, Linda Lucas.  Her store is in the Five Points area of Huntsville, AL.  She is an herbalist and God used her to get my body back on track.  I continue to follow her advice for my family and myself.  The past five years we have been healthier than ever - praise God!  I've also changed my eating habits drastically (I eat vegetarian) and exercise regularly. 

THE MOST IMPORTANT factor is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Without Him, I would be nothing.  He truly is the Living Water and the Bread of Life.  If you don't know Him, call out to Him.  Seek Him and you will find Him, if you search with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13). 

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing - great truth here.