Sunday, April 22, 2012

Peacemakers

The passage from James 3:18 has really been on my mind a lot lately:

"Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." 

I'm meditating on it and asking God how I can be a peacemaker.

In Matthew 5:9, Jesus says, 

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will called the sons of God."  

I looked up the definition of "peacemaker" on http://concordances.org/greek/1518.htm : peacemaker-  Cognate: 1518 eirēnopoiós (from 1517 /eirēnopoiéō, "make peace") – properly, a peacemaker, bravely declares God's terms which makes someone whole (used only in Mt 5:9). See 1515 (eirēnē). 


WOW! Bravely declaring God's terms which makes someone whole. Most people don't want to live on God's terms, so how can one be a peacemaker by declaring His terms?  Well, because when we DO live on His terms, we are made whole.  John 8:32 explains that when we know the truth, the truth sets us free. What is truth?  God's word is truth, plain and simple.  The people who disagree with that, simply do not want to accept it because it causes them to be accountable to it and to God Almighty Himself. 


While I was reading in James about sowing peace, I asked God how I can do that.  He reminded me of John 15 where Jesus describes Himself as the true vine.  If I abide in Him, I will bear much fruit, or as James puts it, I will raise up a harvest of righteousness. So what is "righteousness"?  According to the Greek word definition, it is "what is deemed right by the Lord (after His examination), i.e. what is approved in His eyes."  So how am I supposed to know what God approves of?  Again, I must go to His Word, and I must abide in Christ.

Another aspect of the James 3:18 verse is the word "harvest".  It's meaning is "everything done in true partnership with Christ, i.e. a believer (a branch) lives in union with Christ (the Vine), fruit results from the two life-streams - the Lord living His life through ours - to yield what is eternal (see also 1 John 4:17).

Again, WOW!  I want to abide in Christ so that HE can live HIS life THROUGH me.  I have so much growing to do in this regard.

No comments: