Thursday, September 30, 2010

Christian Fraternities

As I was checking my facebook page this morning, I came across a video snippet of a man sharing his testimony of how/when he became a follower of Christ. I got slightly distracted, however, when he mentioned that he had attended a Christian college and joined a fraternity. I thought, "What?! Fraternities at Christian colleges?!" That doesn't make sense to me. According to Webster, a fraternity is "a group of people associated or formally organized for a common purpose, interest or pleasure". Isn't being a Christian all the "brotherhood" one needs? Why model something the world does? Aren't we to be in the world but not OF the world (John 17)? Correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me to chill out if I'm making too big a deal out of this, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Regardless of my opinion, evidently God used this situation to draw the man to Him, as well as others in the fraternity.

5 comments:

Caryn said...

We went to a Christian college, and Dick was a member of a fraternity there. It was a big group of guys who did Bible study together and worked on projects on and off campus as a group. It gave them a sense of family and allowed them to work together to accomplish great things and have some good, clean fun. You don't normally find dorms or floors in dorms working together in that way. The Christian brotherhood bond is strong, and Christian fraternities make it stronger and help with accountability as well.

Christy said...

I just wondered if it works like the secular fraternities work (from my limited knowledge) in that some guys don't make the cut? Also, is there hazing and such going on? I have nothing against brothers/sisters in Christ meeting together and holding one another accountable, that's what we're supposed to do. It was just the idea of college fraternity that made me wonder.

I actually came back to delete this post because I started thinking that I really didn't have enough knowledge about it to make any form of judgmental statement. Then I saw you already commented, and I thought it might be a good discussion. Plus I might learn something! I like learning, even if my first impressions were wrong. Thanks, Caryn!

Christy said...

Another thing, unlike Dick's experience, the man in the video admitted that he and his frat brothers would ask for God's protection before they went partying! That's what got me on my high horse to begin with - ha ha!

Terry said...

When I was at a Christian university, we had social clubs which were similar to fraternities. No drinking was allowed (on or off campus).

Dean Lusk said...

I'm really uptight about a lot of things (unbelievable, I know), but a fraternity at a Christian college doesn't seem like a negative thing to me in and of itself.

In Groeschel's case it obviously didn't start out as a beneficial thing. God used it as such, though! In Dick's case, though, it seems like just what I'd hope to see.