Sunday, August 8, 2010

personality trait or sin?

Yesterday I was reading through the local newspaper when a particular article caught my eye. It was a little write-up about the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat that a local performing arts club has been putting on. Since this is my favorite musical of all, my attention was immediately captured.

The article was written by a couple of clinical psychologists. They entitled it, "Pain can turn around bad traits". The author's attempt to explain the events of Joseph of the Bible, which is what the musical is based on. As I was reading, I became quickly perturbed by their take on things. In the second paragraph the authors write, "What are referred to spiritually as 'seven deadly sins' are psychologically referred to as pathological personality traits". Throughout the article they continue to counter "sin" or "sins" with pathological personality trait(s). Following is the definition of pathological:

path·o·log·i·cal/ˌpaTHəˈläjikəl/Adjective

1. Of or relating to pathology.
2. Involving, caused by, or of the nature of a physical or mental disease.

If this is truly how the world views sin, and I've no doubt whatsoever it does, then no wonder the majority of the world continues to live hopelessly enslaved. You see, if things such as pride, envy, greed, gossip, hatred, bitterness, etc. are simply personality traits, then there isn't a whole lot that one can do to overcome them, now is there?! However, if we come to realize that those things are indeed sin and believe what the Bible says about sin, then we can also believe that Christ died for our sins and once we are saved we no longer HAVE to sin!Personally, even though it's not easy to admit when I've sinned, I would MUCH rather acknowledge and admit my sin and know that I CAN CHOOSE NOT TO DO IT AGAIN compared to a "pathological personality trait", which according to it's definition is a disease!

I'm shaking my head in disbelief as I write this. I guess I just don't understand the world's view and I must admit I'm glad that I don't.

I've posted a video to my favorite song from my favorite musical! I wasn't able to go see the local performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat because of budget and scheduling conflicts, which was a big disappointment to me. However, thanks to youtube, I can watch clips of it at my convenience.

The reason this song is my favorite one is because it portrays Joseph at his lowest point but he still has hope. Hope that can only come from a living, faithful God! Enjoy!



















2 comments:

Sharon said...

I guess if you want to talk about "personality traits" instead of sin, God still shows that we have need of Him. Psalm 51:10 says, "Create in me a pure heart, O God..." We know that when we accept Christ as our Savior, that He can change the desires of our heart! What wonderful hope!

Mike Anderson said...

I stopped by your site today and enjoyed some of your post. I also have two websites, one is http://www.letusrepentandbelieve.com/ and the other is http://calvinisticquotes.blogspot.com/ if you wouldn't mind stopping by either or both and check them out. If you like what you see I would ask you to please follow these website as my goals is to have one hundred followers by 2011. Thank you for your help and again I enjoyed your sight.