Saturday, May 15, 2010

great quote

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I am an avid reader. If a person could earn a college degree simply from reading great quantities of books, then I would have several degrees under my belt by now, but sadly, no degrees adorn my walls.

Currently I am reading approximately three different books (I always swore I wouldn't do that). The one I'll be sharing the quote from is The Core of Christianity, Rediscovering Authentic Unity and Personal Wholeness in Christ by Neil T. Anderson. I have read multiple books written by Dr. Anderson. I have heard him speak at a Freedom in Christ conference and I have personally spoken with him. He is an amazing, humble, gifted person and exhorts people to seek the truth.

The passage from the book that I want to share with you is this,

"You can't focus on what is wrong for too long. It will have a negative effect on your life. We shouldn't be known for what we don't believe, rather for what we do believe. Growing Christians are proclaimers, not disclaimers. Commit yourself to know the truth and that will expose the lies. Just knowing the lies by itself does not reveal the truth."

I love that! I have to admit that sometimes I tend to focus on the negative way too much. I think it's because I see everything pretty much as simply BLACK or WHITE, RIGHT or WRONG. This was a gentle reminder for me to take a step back and remember that I personally need to SEEK THE TRUTH, which is the Word of God, because simply knowing the lie is not enough.

Psalm 25:4-5 says,

"Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long."

Psalm 26:2-4 says, "Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for Your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in Your truth. I do not sit with deceitful men, nor do I consort with hypocrites."

Proverbs 23:23 says, "Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding."

John 6:46-48 says, "No one has seen the Father except the One Who is from God; only He has seen the Father. I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life, I (Jesus) am the Bread of Life."

John 8:32 says, "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."







2 comments:

Ruth said...

That sure is a great quote from Neil Anderson. I'm interested in reading that book...I've read a few of his.

Thanks for sharing this Christy and pointing out the scriptures about truth. Truth seeking is the foundation of my blog and I always enjoy dialogue about it.

Dean Lusk said...

Really good post! Right on target, particularly for me. My head was in the same place yesterday and today.