Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Heart" is not a verb!

I made a decision earlier tonight. One that just might prove futile, but nevertheless, I'm going to give it a go. I have decided that I will not participate in the abuse of the word "heart". Countless people, the majority being from the younger generation, are now using the word "heart" as a verb. Have you heard this? I blame TV. I was recently exposed to a horrid Disney commercial where the teens repeatedly said, "I heart Jonas", "Why do you heart your fans?", and so on and so on. That's when I had determined that enough is enough! I proclaimed to the TV (and to my kids watching the TV) "YOU CAN'T 'HEART' ANYTHING! IT'S AN ORGAN!"

So, in hopes of educating anyone reading this rant of mine, I wish to include a list of words that can and SHOULD replace the word "heart" as a verb:

LIKE
ENJOY
ADMIRE
LOVE
APPRECIATE
ADORE
RELISH
SAVOR
FANCY

There! Now that I have that off my chest (ha ha!), my heart can beat more regularly and I can now enjoy the rest of my evening.

3 comments:

Terry said...

Did this fad come from the "I 'heart' New York" bumper stickers of several years ago?

Christy said...

Terry, I don't know about that. I know each generation has their own lingo, but this one just irks me! I'm sure my parents thought the same thing about the "valley girl" talk of my day! I cringe thinking about that, though.

Tony M said...

I wholeheartedly agree.