Tuesday, November 24, 2009

To shop or not to shop...


I don't normally go out shopping on "Black Friday" because I can't stand the crowds and the stress. PLUS - I'm not a morning person, as most of you know, so getting up at 0-dark-thirty does NOT work for me. However, there are a couple of things on my kids' lists that will be at pretty good prices this coming Friday. I now find myself torn. To shop or not to shop? Online shopping is much more appealing, but I don't know if these same deals will be available online. A friend and fellow blogger, Mandie, informed me of the website that shows all BF ads, so that's how I found out about the great upcoming deals.

Another thing that I'm going back and forth on is a ministry opportunity that our Jr. High minister has offered. He has suggested that a group of people go with him to these BF sales and offer hot chocolate and snacks to the people waiting in line. He says this would be a great way to demonstrate the love of Christ, by being there to give rather than to get. I agree. I think it's a great idea! Again, I think of dragging myself out of bed in the wee hours of the middle of the night (is it OK to use those terms together?) and trying to overcome my grumpiness to demonstrate love. I'm not sure it would work. It would be like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker fighting! I'm ashamed to say that at that time of the day, I would look much more like the cold, angry shopper than the loving, humble Christ who died for my sins. I hate to admit it, but there it is.

I do believe that I have grown quite a bit spiritually in the last few years. However, I have a LONG way to go. A friend and I are currently reading the book, You are Gifted (see previous post). In the second chapter one of the discussion questions was "Do you feel you have already 'arrived' spiritually"? Heck no! I don't see how anyone could answer that one affirmatively this side of heaven.

Well, after talking this out with you all, I still don't know what I'll be doing on Friday morning. How about you? Are you going to venture out into the cold dark of night/morning to wait in line for awesome "deals"?

2 comments:

Mandie said...

Let me know what items you're looking for and what price you're looking at for BF. I'll let you know if I find anything online!

Mike said...

Shopping don't do it.