Thursday, October 8, 2009

Spiritual Feedings

When reading my Bible, I usually don't read any commentaries because I don't want another person's opinion clouding my understanding of what the passage is saying. However, I did read a commentary on 1 Peter 2, and I'm glad I did because it actually flipped on the "a-ha" switch! 1 Peter 2:2 says, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." How many times have I read and heard this passage? Multiple times, of course. I've been a believer for over 30 years now. Well, the commentary on this helped me to better understand the probable emphasis that Peter was trying to convey. I frequently use e-sword - it's a free service that you can download, and it has greatly helped me in my Biblical studies; I highly recommend that you utilize it. Anyway, while reading 1 Peter, I glanced at the Matthew Henry commentary that comes up on the side (I think it's an extra download that I added). Here are his observations on this passage:

"The apostle, like a wise physician, having prescribed the purging out of vicious humours, goes on to direct to wholesome and regular food, that they may grow thereby. The duty exhorted to is a strong and constant desire for the word of God, which word is here called reasonable milk, only, this phrase not being proper English, our translators rendered it the milk of the word, by which we are to understand food proper for the soul, or a reasonable creature, whereby the mind, not the body, is nourished and strengthened. This milk of the word must be sincere, not adulterated by the mixtures of men, who often corrupt the word of God, 2Co_2:17. The manner in which they are to desire this sincere milk of the word is stated thus: As new-born babes. He puts them in mind of their regeneration. A new life requires suitable food. They, being newly born, must desire the milk of the word. Infants desire common milk, and their desires towards it are fervent and frequent, arising from an impatient sense of hunger, and accompanied with the best endeavours of which the infant is capable. Such must Christians' desires be for the word of God: and that for this end, that they may grow thereby, that we may improve in grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour."

This reminded me of when my son was born. He was ALWAYS hungry (still is, by the way) and I found myself nursing him every 1 1/2 to 2 hours! I was one exhausted mother. Remembering his constant hunger for milk and how I should be like that with God's word really got me thinking. Now I know that I should be well past the need for "spiritual milk" and require more "meat", this analogy still hit home with me. I don't think that I should cut back on the frequency of my feedings now that I'm spiritually older. If I picked up and read my Bible every two hours or so, how much more would I feel full? It's definitely something that I want to challenge myself to do.

This challenge reminds me of something I've asked my kids to do with me. I want us to log 100 things that we want to do before we die. You know, a bucket list. I've posted mine before here, but I don't think it was 100 things! I asked my kids to do this because I am daily striving to improve our home school experience. I want them to have a passion for learning and I desperately want to encourage them to strive toward fulfilling their dreams. It has also helped me to know my kids better. I've been surprised by some of the things they've come up with. Well, one of the things that I'm going to add to my list, is to increase the frequency of my spiritual feedings, and read my Bible at least every two hours when possible.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I know what you mean about needing that fervent desire for spiritual things. When we have that we inhale whatever we can get our hands on. I find that I need to find inspiration when I start to lose my hunger. It could be a women's conference, a good blog discussion, an inspiring book or being spurred on by someone else.
There is a saying that has stuck with me about this: "You can't make the horse drink the water but you can give him salt"

Pam said...

That's true about the need for spiritual nourishment. We need those to enhance all the other areas of our lives.