Tuesday, September 8, 2009

football season - yippee (insert sarcasm)

I live in the South, specifically Alabama. Football is a big deal here, to say the least. Anyone who lives here knows that a baby's first words must either be "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" - forget "mama"or "dada". Also, if someone moves here from another state, it's expected of them to choose between the University of Alabama or Auburn. There's no being neutral around here!

When I was younger, football was more important to me than it is now. I was a sold-out Alabama fan. I wore the Crimson and White all through the season. I watched almost every game. I derided Auburn and Tennessee fans, just because it was expected. Why did I cheer for Alabama? Because my family did, why else? Did I know anyone who played FOR Alabama? No, but that's not the point, now is it? Wait, now that I think about it, I think I knew someone's cousin, or a friend of a cousin, or somebody who played for Alabama at some point in time. OK, now I feel justified. LOL!

So now that I'm all grown up, I wonder, what in the world is the big deal? Sure it's harmless entertainment (well, it's should be harmless anyway). I get that it's amusing to some. But the thing is, it's more like a religion to most people. It's even crept it's way into the pulpit for crying out loud! It really bothers me to be in the middle of singing praises to my God, worshiping corporately with other believers and then someone steps up to the podium and mentions Saturday's scores followed by hoots and hollers from the congregation. Come on! Can't we leave football on the field and reserve the sanctuary for more important, dare I say, HOLY matters?

If I've offended anyone, or hurt feelings, that's not my intention here. I just desperately wish that our worship services could be centered around, well... WORSHIP, but not the worship of any college football team.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I know what you mean. In Georgia you're either a Georgia fan or Georgia Tech fan.

Terry said...

I love football, but I don't mind that others don't share my enthusiasm. :)