Wednesday, July 22, 2009

another birthday celebration








Monday we celebrated my son's tenth birthday. It was a pretty busy day. He invited his closest friends to go to the river with him and his dad. His sister and I stayed home to clean the house for the party. We had a great time. Hamburgers and hot dogs were grilled. Grandparents joined us for the dinner and the ice-cream cake. Dawson doesn't care for regular cake, so we always get him an ice-cream cake from Dairy Queen.

The night before his birthday, Dawson decided that he wanted to look through his baby book with me. Of course I was more than happy to oblige. What sweet memories we have of our children. I'm so glad that I took the time to record those things that years strip away from my mind's remembrance. Dawson was especially pleased that I had written my wishes for him. His daddy never got around to do that, and Dawson gave him a hard time about it - in a joking sort of way. When Dawson read the birthday card that accompanied his gift, he noted that his dad actually signed it along with a little note. He then said to his dad, "At least you signed my birthday card - NOT LIKE MY BABY BOOK!" It was funny. I was pleased to notice that Dawson took the time this year to actually read ALL of the cards he received. Most of the time, the kids just tear them open and toss them to the side so they can rip into the actual gifts. I guess it's a sign of maturity that he did that. Now I just need to get him to sit down and write thank you notes to send to everyone. Now that will be an accomplishment!

Thanks again for sharing another happy time in my life.

4 comments:

Terry said...

Happy birthday to Dawson!

LRAQUILA said...

Happy birthday, Dawson! I did not realize he and Abigail were so close in age. She'll be 10 in Sept.

Pam said...

Happy Birthday to Dawson! I'm glad he had a wonderful day. : )

Brenda said...

Happy belated Birthday to dear Dawson! I can't believe it's been so long since I've stopped in over here. So sorry.:( Glad he had a fun celebration. That was funny about how he gave his dad a joking hard time about his baby book. And how nice that he wanted to sit down and look through the book with you. Ten is still such a sweet age.