Monday, June 29, 2009

The Miracle Worker

Group picture

Scene 1 Helen as a sick baby

Scene 2 Helen older and running wild


Anne Sullivan locked in her room by Helen.

Last Friday my family and I went with a group from our church to the birthplace of Helen Keller, Ivy Green. This time every year there is a reenactment called "The Miracle Worker". It's about the life of Helen Keller - at least up to the point where she finally understands the meaning of words and sign language. I've wanted to go see this play for a very long time, and I was so happy to go with my family and friends. It's not a very far drive from where we live, so I don't know why we haven't gone before. It takes place outside, and being in Alabama, it's rather hot and sticky this time of year. We were all a bit uncomfortable, but just thinking about having to wear the wardrobe that the actors did made me feel better. All of the actors did a wonderful job. They were very believable in their characterizations. There were two ladies who interpreted the play in American Sign Language, and they kept my attention for the majority of the program.


Interpreters
Haley and Anna with the main characters.

The place was packed full of people. Next to me sat a woman whose daughter was born deaf. The mother had the measles when she was pregnant with her. Her daughter, who is 43 years old, sat next to her. I started to sign with her and enjoyed being able to use what I know of the language. It's not often enough that I get that chance. Of course I fumbled here and there because it's been so long, but I think I muddled through pretty well. It's always nice to see the smiles on the faces of a Deaf person when someone hearing knows their language. It makes me want to pursue interpreting all the more. One day, Lord willing, I'll get to that point.

By the time the story of Helen reached the climax of her finally grasping the meaning of words, several of us were in tears. Helen's story is simply amazing. She not overcame the obstacles in her life, she triumphed over them! She achieved more than most hearing and seeing people ever dream to accomplish. An absolutely amazing woman. And of course the tenacity and loyalty of Anne Sullivan is not to be overlooked. They were quite the pair indeed!

4 comments:

Pam said...

What an awesome field trip! I would enjoy seeing this, but not sure about the kids and their "no education during the summer" wishes. lol

LRAQUILA said...

I wish we could have gone. I know that this was just wonderful...and how neat that you got to learn and have fun at the same time :) And, Dawson has a head start on his Alabama history class too:)

Brenda said...

Sounds like an interesting play. Glad you got to enjoy it with your family. How cool that you know some sign language! My cousin was born deaf, but wears hearing aids and can hear a little with them, and he's very good at reading lips obviously. Now that I think about it, I don't ever remember seeing his mom sign to him. Wonder why she never learned to? Hmmm, I have some questions to ask my Aunt now.

Mark (under construction) said...

Miss thouse family outing days ... treasure the time as I do the memories.