Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"I'm burning!"

Even though I posted an entry only yesterday, I felt the need to share this news report with you. It's about the young lady who was shot and killed at one of the Iranian protests. I'm sure you've heard about it already, but what has torn at my heart today was reading her last words: "I'm burning! I'm burning!" The lady was shot, yet she says, "I'm burning!" Could it be that she was already in her eternal state? This thought frightens me to the core. Every day I go on living without fully realizing the eternal consequences we will ALL face. I guess because my eternity is secure I don't live my life here with urgency. Shame on me! This woman's friends and family are heralding her as an angel, yet is she burning in hell now? To man it doesn't seem just for "good people" to be sent to hell, yet the Word of God makes it clear that "ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) and ALL men are without excuse because God has made Himself known to us through His creation (Romans 1:19-21). But God doesn't leave us without hope. Christ, God's only Son, died for us! "And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die." (Romans 5:5-7) This young woman might have died for something that was good, but Christ died for all of the sinful people of this world! For her and the very people that put a bullet into her body. Christ died for me and for you. It's all well and good for me to blog about this, but when am I going to LIVE like people are dying?!

3 comments:

Mandie said...

Christy, I hadn't considered the fact that she's (most likely) in hell now. She's paraded around the media and rightly so, for doing a great thing. As we know, no matter what good things she did here on earth, they can't save her soul.

Thanks for giving me that perspective.

Southerner said...

I understand your point, but it is common to feel a burning sensation when you are shot.

dwightandchristy said...

Holly, I realize that, but for some reason after reading the article I couldn't help but think of it the way I did. Maybe it's just God talking to me about my lackadaisical mindset.