Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's all the fuss?

I've been dealing with anger lately. It manifested itself to the point where it has caused marital conflict. Things finally came to a head one day last week and I had no choice but to deal with this anger head-on. I went before the Lord in prayer. I read many passages of Scripture. I listened to Godly council via Beth Moore studies online ("Every Day Offenses" and "Offenses That Devastate"). I requested prayer from close, trusted friends. I attempted to fast (but I didn't make it past the afternoon due to a throbbing headache. I've never been able to fast, but that's a different topic). I finally came to a point where I was able to admit - I was harboring anger. I confessed it before the Lord and repented.

Why am I sharing this with you? I've always been an open book when it comes to my struggles and I don't intend on stopping now. I know that I learn and am encouraged when others are open with me and I believe it's biblical (my interpretation of Eph. 4:2, Col. 3:13 and Romans 12:7-9). So I wanted to share with you the Bible verses and some of the insight I received that helped me:

Proverbs 19:11 "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." The word "overlook" means "To move beyond it".

James 4:1-2 "What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask."

There was quote that Beth Moore used, "Bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die from it."
Matthew 6:9-15 "... forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" and "For if you forgive others their sins, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others... neither will your Father forgive you."

II Corinthians 10:3-5 talks about strongholds. A stronghold is when we become mentally hung up on something. Unforgiveness is a stronghold every time.

Matthew 6:13 is "sandwiched" between verses talking about forgiveness. Matthew 6:13 is the verse that says, "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." So, if we do not forgive, then we can't expect to avoid temptation and deliverance.

"There is nothing that has greater capacity to lead us into temptation than unforgiveness."
"Every time we refuse to forgive, Satan will outwit us and he will have a scheme." Both quotes from Beth Moore, based on II Corinthians 2:10-11 and Hebrews 12:15.

It's never fun admitting sin - never. But it's much, much worse holding onto it. I'm so thankful that when I confess my sins, God is faithful and just to forgive me of my sins (I John 1:9).

Let me end with another quote from Beth Moore (sorry to those of you who don't like her) "We are never more Christ-like than when we forgive."

Luke 23:34 "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

7 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks for your honesty Christy. It's hard for us to admit our anger because it's well...not nice. But we all have it.

My morning group just covered anger and it was a real eye opener for me. We learned that anger is a symptom of underlying emotions that are usually a result of past injustices that require forgiving some people. So in other words, the road to freedom from anger is forgiveness.

Caryn said...

You are an open book and I admire you for being so honest. Thanks for the reference verses. God's Word is the only source to walk us through those everyday strongholds that bind us so...!

Brenda said...

Glad you were able to get through this with wisdom. That harboring anger thing is a tough one. I have repented about a couple different issues that can cause anger and grudges that I don't want to have. It feels so refreshing to repent and get rid of them and not have them weighing on me, but they never fail to rear their ugly heads again. The same issues eventually come up. Not often, but they seem to linger down deep. It's just something I have to keep giving back to the Lord again and again when they surface. Does this happen to you?

Terry said...

Keep being honest. You are a great example!

Christy said...

Brenda, Yes, I definitely have reoccurring anger issues. It's disheartening at times, too, because I think I'm "OVER IT" and then BAM - it's right back there in my face. That's when I ask God, "If YOU can forget, why can't I?" His grace is sufficient for me, though. ;0)

Mark (under construction) said...

my frustration with life often leads to anger ... but these are very inspiring and challenging verses ...thankyou for your insights and honesty during these sruggles.

Anonymous said...

Christy, Thanks for sharing not only your feelings, but the verses. I too, have been dealing with alot of issues of anger and frustration. Nice to know that I am not the only one.: } But I really do appreciate your cander and expressing yourself so well, I think we all wish sometimes to be able to open that way.
Keep smiling, and lift it all up, right?!?!?
Thanks again for sharing, I am writing down and looking up these verses now.
Love ya,
JE