Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mourning into gladness

Not all anniversaries are happy ones. Today is the 2nd anniversary of the death of my mother and grandmother. Let me tell you that I can't believe it's been two years; it just doesn't seem possible. However, I'm not here to bring you down. Hopefully I will be an encouragement to you today. You see, even though the death of my loved ones took me to the pit of despair, my Savior lifted me up out of that pit and rescued me, healed me, comforted me, delivered me and yes - He has turned my mourning into gladness! Who else but Jesus can do such a thing? If you don't know Jesus, man, I don't know what to say. I literally would not still be here on this earth if it weren't for my Jesus! I urge you to seek salvation through Jesus Christ. He promises that if you confess your sins, He is faithful and just to forgive you of those sins and to cleanse you from ALL unrighteousness! AMAZING!

Psalm 18 was seemingly written for me and everything I felt. Especially verses 4-6

"The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me
.
In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears."

There is a song that our worship leader, Dean Lusk, introduced to us recently. It is my new favorite worship and praise song - "Savior". This song could not be any closer to what I feel/believe about my Lord. I mean, this song describes every way that Jesus revealed Himself to me - AWESOME!

8 comments:

LRAQUILA said...

Thanks for sharing this. God is SO faithful...and you are certainly bearing testimony to that here. Thanks for being willing to bear your heart and show 'us' how God has brought you thru. I am sorry for your losses, but so grateful that you have been able and willing to use that pain to minister to others in so many ways. You will probably never know how many lives you have touched.

Caryn said...

That is an awesome song! Thanks for posting it and also for sharing with us what our Savior has done in your life. HE is ABLE to bring us through the worst of circumstances and set us back on our feet with hearts of joy. I pray that all will come to know our Jesus! He is waiting with open arms!

lamarr said...

Thanks, Christy - I know you still miss mommy today, but I'm so glad you can sing praises and banish the fear and darkness!!!!! I'm always encouraged by your posts....

Lamarr said...

As I'm listening to this song, I just remembered it's the one where when we sing it, I so often feel like breaking into a ballet of praise when that part of the song come - you've turned my mourning into dance and then there's an instrumental - just inviting me to DANCE!!!!!!! When JoAnne was younger and we were at another church where she was always with me during music, she used to do that - just twirl and dance during the hymns... :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Thank you for reminding me that I can turn mourning into gladness! I wish I had known that kind of comfort from my Savior when I lost my mom (18 years ago) & my dad (12 years ago) I was not a Christian then & struggled with both of their deaths for such a very, very long time. I am an only child & had lost both of my parents by the time I was in my early twenties, before I met my husband & had "my own family". I was so very mad at HIM that I was left "alone". WHY did HE do that to ME???? Since becoming a Christian I do have more peace even when all those anniversaries roll around. I am so sorry for your losses & praise you for your post!
Jennifer Collett

Terry said...

I appreciate your Christ-honoring approach to your loss. Thank you for sharing it.

Brenda said...

I cannot imaging how difficult that must have been to lose both your mother and grandmother all at once. I'm very sorry for your loss and the pain it may still cause. May Jesus continue to bring comfort. God bless.

Mark (under construction) said...

Great song - my thoughts and prayers are with you.