Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bargain Bust and Dental Distress


Yesterday I spent probably 1 1/2-2 hours going through sales papers, cutting coupons and printing coupons off the Internet, then matching coupons to local sales. Today after my dentist appointment (I won't even go there because it's a dark and tormenting place), I began my bargain shopping. Target was my first stop. I was very excited because I had seen several bargains named on a blog that I frequently check; these deals would've gotten me products for free after my stacked coupons. However, when I get to Target I quickly see that every single item I was after was out-of-stock! Grrrr! This is only Tuesday, how could they already be out of EVERY SINGLE ITEM?! Well, at least I was able to get a white chocolate mocha at Starbucks while I was there. The next stop was Rite-Aid - same thing happened. Then CVS - SAME THING HAPPENED! It's like all the coupon queen bees had sent their scouts before me and swiped up the deals - *sigh*. Well, I still had one more stop, so I dragged myself to the grocery store for the essentials. At least it wasn't crowded and it was actually a bit relaxing since I was by myself. After all that running around I rushed home to unload the groceries and then hit the road headed for rehearsals for Fiddler on the Roof. My mouth was still a bit numb from the dentist and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to sing very well. I was also hungry, but not able to take a big bite of anything. Have I told you before how much I utterly detest, loathe, despise and hate going to the dentist? OK, so I'll tell you about the visit to the dentist. Tell the children to leave the room, because it ain't pretty! Today's visit was Part I of a crowning. TWO HOURS I'm in the chair with my mouth wide open, four hands and cold, hard instruments jammed inside! This particular dentist I've never met before. She is a lovely woman, but she has the voice of Snow White for crying out loud! I fully expected her to glide over to the window, pull up the pane and yodel for birds and squirrels to come help her with the drilling! I'm sorry, but I don't want Snow White drilling on my tooth - I want Dr. Twenty Years of Experience with a Nice Baritone, Fully Confident and Knowledgeable Voice working on my not-so-pearly whites! Whenever she asked the assistant for something, the assitant said, "Hmmm?" and she had to repeat herself. Not only that, but she (Dr. Snow White) was humming with the radio, which was blaring above the sound of the drill and the suction tube thingie. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'd rather give birth then go to the dentist! Unfortunately I have to return in two weeks for Part II. Dr. Snow White assured me that the next visit shouldn't take quite as long. I SHOULD HOPE NOT! I really want to ask for Mr. Nose, but I'm pretty sure insurance doesn't cover it for people over ten years of age. So all in all, today was a bust. I guess I'll try and be like Annie and sing about the sun coming out tomorrow. Hey- maybe Dr. Snow White and I can sing a duet!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, just too, too funny! I hope you have a great day today...or maybe not cuz it sure was entertaining reading about today or was it yesterday.

Deanna

Brenda said...

That was funny to read, but sorry about the painful dental experience. My dentist is very mild mannered and calm, with soft music quietly playing. It helps me to be relaxed, but I agree, it is one of the worst places to have to go.

My question for you is: do you really think it was worth driving to Target, Rite-Aid, and CVS, only to find out they didn't have your discounted products, instead of just paying the regular prices at the grocery store? I'm always wondering about this when a similar thing happens to me, wasting gas and time driving from store to store looking for bargains. It doesn't seem worth it. But I suppose if you do get lucky and they have your items and you save a bundle or get them for free, it was worth it. Sounds like a gamble maybe.

I think I've said this before but I thought about again just now reading... you must have an incredibly, beautiful voice. Hope I get to hear you sing someday.

Christy said...

Deanna, I'm glad to know I can count on you for emotional support. Let me know if there's anything I can ever laugh at you about, I mean, help you through.
;0)

Brenda, the bargain/coupon thing is still new to me. I've wondered the same thing. However, when I do get the bargains it is very exciting and addicting. For example, a week or so ago I got $45+ worth of products for just under $16 at CVS, most of it was makeup (which is quite pricey), so I was very happy with that transaction. When I saw all the potential freebies at Target, etc. I was very happily anticipating going. I didn't excpect everything to be sold out already, though. I guess I'm going to have to start doing my shopping on Sundays, which will be challenging because, well, it's Sunday! Anyway, I understand your skepticism.

Anonymous said...

Christy, did you ever think of getting rain checks from the stores? I know it sounds cheesy, but it actually works. I did it a few times and I got the same bargain a few days later when the new stock came in. You may have wasted the first trip, but you still get the bargains.

And, I really hate going to the dentist, too!

Julie

Caryn said...

Were you able to sing at rehearsal? I hope today is so great that it makes up for yesterday!

Mark (under construction) said...

Great post .. thanks for inviting us into your day ... all it needed was the Keystone Cops!!

Dog snob said...

Haha, very well put. I'm with you on the dentist thing. I just don't wanna go there.