Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

I tried using my 1st St. Patrick's Day post but for some reason it wouldn't work. I don't have much time today, but I wanted to acknowledge the holiday because it's one of my favorites. I don't know why exactly, except that I've always considered myself mostly Irish. I still don't know if that is true or not since I haven't devoted as much time to my family tree research as I would like. Anyway, St. Patrick was a really great guy from what I've read. Supposedly it's not true about him driving out snakes, but even if he didn't he was still cool (again from what I've read). Also, I like the color green and shamrocks are pretty. Another thing I like about the Irish are the blessings:

Christ be with me, Christ be within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger
Christ in hearts of all that love me
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.
FROM THE BREASTPLATE OF SAINT PATRICK

Deep peace of the running waves to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the smiling stars to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the watching shepherds to you.
Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you.
AN OLD GAELIC PRAYER


Also, the music...

2 comments:

Pam said...

That is a wonderful blessing. I am sure I had read it before, but it is good to reread.
I know I have some Irish heritage, so I should be cooking up some sort of Irish dish for our dinner today!

Brenda said...

Happy Saint Patty's Day to you! That is a beautiful prayer and I like that song.

A few years ago my son became very interested in many Irish things. He began to teach himself Irish Gaelic language, began listening to Irish music and taught himself to play the mandolin. One of the teachers at his school even taught him and a couple friends Irish dance. It was very fun and quite amazing to watch him develop his talents. I'm thankful that my son introduced me to some Irish culture.