Thursday, March 5, 2009

so much to change

I don't know about you, but I'm the type that is easily overwhelmed. I've probably told you that before, many times, and you're sick of hearing it. It sounds like a lame excuse, doesn't it? I suppose it IS a lame excuse. What am I easily overwhelmed about, you ask? Well there are so many things in my personal life and in the body of Christ that I see and feel should be changed or at least improved on, yet being the one to initiate that change or improvement - that would be where the overwhelment comes in. Is overwhelment a word? Hold on while I check... OK, the thefreedictionary.com says it's not, sorry about that. What do I feel needs to be changed or improved, you ask? You are so good at humoring me with your questions! I'll try to list them:



Personally speaking (not necesarily in order of importance):
  • Budgeting - staying on budget. I can do it on paper, but following through with it's another thing. Using the cash envelope system helps, but more often than not I'll rob one envelope because I've spent all of the cash out of another (eating out is my weakness).
  • Exercising - need I say more? Yeah, I didn't think so.
  • Being faithful with my quiet time.
  • Homeschooling my kids - I worry that I'm not doing enough and that they'll grow up educationally crippled.
  • Reaching out to my neighbors. I'm such a hermit and don't like getting outside for any extended length of time unless I'm camping.

Body of Christ (again, not necesarily in order of importance, although they're probably equal):

  • Men - where are you? I don't see many Godly men taking a stand and leading. (In all fairness, this isn't something that I can change, anyway. Being a woman in the church - that's a whole other subject. If ALL who professed to know Christ acted on that, LIVED that - well, it would be noticeably different, I think.)
  • Concern/urgency to witness (still waiting permission to share comments on that - post coming soon).
  • TRUTH - God's word in context. I see and hear God's word used out of context so much it's maddening. We need to stop picking and choosing verses here and there to fit our theme of the day!
  • Programs, programs, programs.
  • Sincerity in worship - I want desperately to see the Body of Christ delirious for Him! You know, like so many of us are for our favorite college football team - that kind of insanity, only for Christ! I'm not saying we should paint our bodies with "G", "O", "D", but we should be throwing up our hands, bouncing up and down and shouting at the top of our lungs "He is RISEN!", "I am REDEEMED!", "Christ LIVES in ME!", "THANK YOU, JESUS!"
  • Mentorship. I very much desire for an older woman to mentor me. Since that hasn't happened, I wonder, should I go and ask for a lady to do so or should I start being the mentor to a younger girl now? There's just not much of this going on, that I can see, in the local churches.

So these are things that overwhelm me when I stop and think about them and actually doing something about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy,

Sometimes, I see how you and I are are a lot alike. I totally get overwhelmed easily! I was just thinking today of all the things I want to do, could do, but don't do because I don't really know where to start.

As far as the mentorship goes, I've felt the same way... wanting a seasoned Christian lady to mentor me, but never knew how to go about doing it. Should I ask someone? Pray for God to show both of us, but would I have to still ask? In general, I think mentoring in the church is exactly what God says in Titus 2:1-5.

Anyway, you aren't the only one overwhelmed. :) Hey, have you ever read the book, The Worn Out Woman? I went through that book in a mini ladies group before the kids were born. It was a good book and I need to read it again! :)

Miss seeing you!

Julie

Brenda said...

I'm an older woman but not sure if I should be mentoring younger woman, since sometimes I feel pretty messed up! That book Julie mentioned sounds like something I should read.