Thursday, March 19, 2009

Excuse me

Yesterday I had to drag my kids to go shopping. They both were in need of clothes but neither of them wanted to go with me. We finally got to the store and I spotted a really cute outfit that I wanted my daughter to try. When I pointed it out to her, she actually liked it so I really wanted her to try it on, especially since it was a skirt (she does not like wearing dresses or skirts). The thing is, the outfit was up on the higher display, out of my reach. The kids and I both searched for the hook thingie that is used to get those higher up things, but we couldn't find one. Well, I really, really wanted to get this down because if there's any chance of my daughter wearing a skirt, I'm going to take it. I look around for a sales associate - not one to be found - of course! Then I look for someone tall. Finally, a couple is walking down the main aisle and the man looks plenty tall enough to help me out, so I approach them. I say "Excuse me, but could you please help me get something that's out of my reach?" They both looked a bit stunned at first, like I was playing a joke on them or something. I point over to the wall and ask again. The man finally realizes I'm serious and says "Yes m'aam". Then the woman with him looks at me with this cold hard stare like I'm asking her man for his phone number or something! I'm thinking, "Sheesh! I just need a little help here! What's the big deal?" So I walk the man over to the outfit and he gets it down for me. I thank him and he walks away. It was really weird, though. So my daughter tries it on, it looks really cute, but of course she hates it. Unfortunately the couple is still in the same area and we keep bumping into them. The vibe from that woman was not good. I finally find something my daughter agrees to, so we go to the check out. There they are again. So I finally just say to the man, "Thank you again for your help. It's not easy being short", and then I deliberately smile at the woman. COLD - HARD - STARE again! You know, the "if looks could kill" glare. What's up with people? Are we not supposed to ask for help anymore? Not even the slightest bit of help? It's not like I was asking for his kidney or anything like that! I guess you had to be there to appreciate the full scale of awkwardness and tension that was in the air. It was difficult for me to be gracious because down inside I really wanted to say to the woman, "WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?!", but that wouldn't have been very Christ-like, so I refrained. Have you ever asked for help from a stranger and regretted it? I might think twice before I do it again.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

That was funny to read. You had me laughing several times and I could feel the awkwardness from your description! It does sound like a very unreasonable response from both of them, especially the woman. I think it was absolutely fine that you asked for help. And I understand why you felt like you had to thank him again and mention your shortness! Maybe, just maybe, he's been hit on before or had an affair and she's super sensitive and jealous of any attention he might get??? I know, I'm really reaching here. I can also relate to what you really felt like saying, haha! But good girl for restraining your fleshly desires. :)

Terry said...

I can't think of a time when I ever asked a stranger for help. But it might be because I'm a man. We would rather drive around lost than admit to needing help, as everyone knows.

Mark (under construction) said...

You wonder - how come she reacts like this? What event in her life has caused her to become like this? This is sad.

Ninfa said...

I've asked strangers for help before and never had this happen. I've had them look at me weird but never get ugly with thier looks. I remember one day I was in the van and my cell phone was on the little console between the seats. I had to stop quickly and it fell off but I could not get to it... I was driving after all, so I tried to keep an eye on where it was and figured I could get it when I got to my destination. Well I took so many turns that I lost sight of it. When I got to the place I was going I looked everywhere I could think of to look and no cell phone. So I looked around the parking lot and saw a man and woman. I approached the lady and told her I had lost my cell phone in my car and was wondering if she had one she could use to call my phone. She did look at me kind of strange for a moment, but I think it is the shock factor that causes it. You are trying to process what has just been said to you and you are also on guard because a stranger has approached you. Anyway, she eventually agreed and I heard my phone ring. It was all the way back in the very back of the van under the back seat. I guess I drive kind of crazy.

Anyway, I think Mark is right. It is sad that this woman walks around so angry and miserable. There most be some history there that we do not know. I'm sure Your hubby gets asked all the time if he can get things by us short people. You don't respond like that when you are with him, because 1)you understand and 2)you don't feel threatened by these people because you have "ten foot tall and bullet proof" standing by you. (hehe)

I think it is a prime example of all God can do in a life to change a person. You have had hurt in your life and you could respond in an unkind way when people ask for your help but you don't because you have experianced the ultimate act of mercy in your life. This woman probably has not experianced that mercy and THAT is really sad.

Caryn said...

I feel your pain! As a shortie myself, I am always asking for help to reach something on the top shelf. Usually people are very gracious about it, but now and again you get a prune face. Maybe we could turn this into a handicap so at least we can get a good parking space!

Pam said...

I understand! I asked for help one time from someone and his wife acted like I was trying to pick up her husband or something.
I think there had to be something going on, or maybe she was just exceptionally jealous.
Don't let it upset you though, because you didn't do anything wrong.

katdish said...

Were you wearing your Superwoman costume at the time? That eagle bra thing really tends to anger some people...

Now see, when people cop an attitude with me I tend to lean towards the "what can I do to convict them and make them look really stupid" side of my personality. That's bad, huh?

wv: gagator - the exhibit you find at the zoo right next to the heh-hippo.

Christy said...

Katdish, that would be Wonder Woman, and if I were wearing the costume, I could've used my golden lasso to get the clothes down or better yet super jumped in slow motion with that cool sound effect thingie going on. But since I don't have a WW costume that didn't work out, darn it. If I DID have a WW costume, however, I wouldn't admit it and I would never wear it in public. That would cause way too much pandominium and I would probably be arrested for scaring little children. Thanks for dropping by, it's been a while. ;0)