Monday, March 30, 2009

Copper scrolls

Yesterday in Sunday School, I heard about the Copper Scrolls for the first time. Fascinating stuff, really. There's a man, Jim Barfield (he's a former fire fighter!), who believes that he has, through God's help, discovered where the items are that are listed on the Copper Scrolls. Evidently the scrolls are a treasure map of sorts that disclose the locations of the Tabernacle items, unimaginable amounts of gold and silver coins, gems and possibly even the Ark of the Covenant! It's things like these that make me wish I had pursued archeology. When I was in the fifth grade I wanted to be an archeologist. I was sorely disappointed, however, when I realized that King Tut's tomb had already been discovered, so I put that idea out of my head! LOL! (BTW, King Tut's stuff is on display in Atlanta, GA. I desperately want to go see it) Of course I really hate being sweaty and dirty, so I wouldn't make a good archeologist anyway. If you click on the links above they will take you to the websites with videos where I found out more information. If you're into history and biblical archeology I'm sure you'll find it as interesting as I did. Here's another site with pictures.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Ooh, how interesting! My son is very fascinated with archeology. I'll be sure to show him these websites. How cool would it be to discover ancient artifacts and treasure? Not sure how fun it would be digging around in the dirt in hot weather or hours, or exploring dark, scary caves. But I'd like to at least have the opportunity to wear a pith helmet and safari clothes and possibly hang out with Indiana Jones.

Southerner said...

The first time we studied about the copper scroll he broke down the cost of some of it in todays gold rates. I googled quickly and this is what the value was in the 60's http://www.sdnhm.org/scrolls/Copper_Scroll.pdf. It is much more today but this gives an idea without having time to search more. He also went more into where it says there will be treasures found- which he says the original meaning was "hidden treasures" and believes that we are going to find new natural resourses or treasures. One of the things that is already coming true is in a once desert area they have olive trees and they have more than doubled in the amount of olive oil that area is selling in the last three years. It is all so fascinating.

Caryn said...

You need to read some of Joel Rosenberg's books, the Ezekiel Option, the Copper Scroll, etc. He writes fiction, but bases it on the Bible and two chapters in Ezekiel (38 and 39, I think). Some of it, like info on the Copper scrolls and other Biblical info are real. He also is the one who wrote "Epicenter" which is a commentary on what is going on in the middle east in preparation for Armeggedon and Christ's return. He is a Jewish Christian. I have some of the books if you want to borrow them!

Anonymous said...

Awsome!!! It would be so cool to find the Ark of the Covenant!!
Luv ya! Haley,

Terry said...

I had never heard of the Copper Scrolls before, but it sounds cool.

Christy said...

Caryn, sure I'd like to borrow the books. You know me well enough not to ask that question! :0)

Brenda said...

I saw Epicenter at our church about a year ago. It was very interesting but I'm embarrassed to say that much of it was over my head. Also Joel spoke at our church a few months ago along with retired Lt. Gen. William Boykin. I ended up feeling very ill and had to leave before Joel spoke. Very disappointing.