Sunday, February 22, 2009

frustrating dreams


I had another dream, but nothing like the one from the other night. This one was a dream brought on, I believe, by the recent news of home invasions in near-by cities, one of which was a friend of ours. Anyway, in my dream my front door had been left unlocked and just as I was realizing this, a man barged in on me. I had time to go get a gun, but when I shot at him the gun was empty (I've had this dream SOOOO many times). I toss the gun and go to the kitchen to get a knife (actually I get several). When I throw one of the knives at the man, he catches it and smiles wickedly. By now there are several men inside the home. That's really the extent of my dream since my alarm clock woke me up. As I mentioned, I have had dreams like this before where I was trying to defend myself but my gun would be empty or something similar. I wonder if this is because subconsciously I don't really want to kill anyone. Have you ever dreamt similar things? What do you make of it? In case you haven't noticed, I consider dreams to be important. Of course I know that sometimes I dream crazy dreams because I had too much spicey food right before bed, or because I'm feverish, but otherwise I like to think about my dreams and try and figure them out; at least try and figure out WHY I had the dream, not necessarily it's meaning.

6 comments:

Potpourri of Praise said...

I had crazy/disturbing dreams last night.....I think it was a combination of a new medication I am on as well as a missionary who spoke about the persecuted church/loss of freedom in other countries. Usually I can find some reason for my dreams, but they are disturbing none the less. Like you, I find that news events, especially things that are scary to me like crimes, do pop up in my dreams. Also, I have to be very careful which tv shows, movies, books, ..... I allow myself to be exposed to because they often pop up in my dreams and as I have gotten older, even things that seem pretty innocent turn out to be pretty scary when recycled in a dream:(

Dean Lusk said...

Wow! That's disturbing! Dreams like that get me all out of whack for the day. Mercifully, they're rare.

Brenda said...

Sorry about your bad dreams lately. You must wake up exhausted. Back on December 9th when I wrote a post on dreams, Mary (photoqueen) told me about an article at Christianity Today: Gifted for Leadership, that coincidently had just been written on the same day. Nothing profound, but still interesting. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/6oyxa6

Anonymous said...

Thats scary! i hope you can get some sleep. Love you!
Haley,

Lamarr said...

Maybe you should be picking up the 'sword of the spirit' in those dreams - no empty bullets there! I know you're steeped in the word - I hope you're not feeling inadequate for spiritual warfare? Just remember Ephesians 6 - "stand therefore... and having done all, stand!"

Anonymous said...

Christy,

I was just reminded of the following verses that have helped me in times of difficulty sleeping from anxiety and panic attacks. I had only read part of it, but after reading more, it is even more powerful.

Proverbs 3:21-26

" My son, do not lose sight of these - keep sound wisdom and discretion,
22 and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. 23 Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble.
24 If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes,
26 for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught."

Also, Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing."

Love you!

Julie