Sunday, February 15, 2009

approved for all audiences

My husband and I went out last night for our anniversary. We went to Red Robin for dinner (Macaroni Grill had a 2-hour wait) and then we went to a movie. Dwight wanted to see "Taken" because he had heard people say it was good, so that was the movie we went to see. The movie was pretty good, but what bothered me were the previews. Supposedly these previews are "approved for all audiences", but it really bothers me how someone could think that showing teenagers making out and blatently talking about and pursuing losing their purity is suitable for all audiences! Not only that but there were scenes of girls kissing girls and men kissing men! I turned to my husband and I said, "This is too much! I feel like I'm in Sodom and Gomorrha!" It's a been a long time since we've been to the movie theater. We usually just rent what we want to see on DVD. After last night, I don't think I'll ever want to go to the movie theater again. I wonder how many parents let their teenagers go to the movies alone each week. I wonder how many parents know what's being displayed on the big screen before their children's eyes. I wonder if we're all just too calloused to this wickedness that it doesn't even bother us any more. I wonder why the Lord hasn't come back yet! I've heard people say that Jesus hasn't come back yet because the world isn't as evil as it was when the Flood happened or when Sodom and Gomorrha were destroyed. If the world isn't that evil again yet - I dread to see it when it is!

8 comments:

Terry said...

It's bad. But I hope you enjoyed your anniversary otherwise.

Southerner said...

I go to the movies at most once a year. Cameron and Ashley go all the time. I had no clue! I am so sick of commercials- you can't watch good family shows like Little House without crud between.

Christy said...

We did enjoy our anniversary. It was nice being out just the two of us. Of course all we talked about pretty much was the kids! Isn't that the way it goes, though? ;0)

Christy said...

Holly, I had no clue that it had gotten THIS bad. I remember about a year ago taking the kids to see one of the Narnia movies, I think, and I had to over Dawson's eyes during the previews! But what we saw last night was so bad I wanted to close MY eyes and I actually did at one point! The movie we saw was rated PG-13. I don't know if that makes a difference in what previews are shown or not. Like I said, all the previews were "approved for all audiences". Sickening. This is the stuff that makes me shelter my kids. I'm sure I'll be criticized for doing so, but I'm the one that will answer to God for it, not anyone else (except my husband of course, but we're on the same page).

katdish said...

My hubby and I were watching "How to lose a guy in 10 days" on tv yesterday. We both remarked how they bleeped out "bullsh*t", but had no problem with taking the Lord's name in vain on numerous occassions. Go figure...

Pam said...

I haven't been to the movies in years. My daughter does goe sometimes with a group of friends. I didn't realize the commericals had gotten so offensive though.
Glad you enjoyed your anniversary otherwise though.

Caryn said...

The last time we went to the movies was with you in Decatur! We wait until they come out on dvd if we really want to see them. It is so sad that this is what Hollywood thinks that we want. And if it is, we are as bad as Sodom and Gomorah!

Loved your previous post with the picture. You and Dwight are both very blessed to have each other!

Ryan B said...

Yeah. Some of those previews are ridiculously raunchy. And to think how much worse the world is going to get...

But really the reason I don't go see movies that much anymore is the price. $10 bucks a pop is crazy.