Saturday, January 17, 2009

Totally off the subject

Why I'm telling you this is beyond me, except that I thought it was hilarious, and I always enjoy a good laugh. Guys, if this is TMI, I apologize. So I'm getting ready for church one morning and while I'm working on my hair, arms raised high, my husband comes near and reaches for my armpit. Fearing that he's planning a tickle attack I try to jerk away (I ABHOR being tickled). Well, that wasn't his intention - this time - instead he had focused in on a wild hair! He tugged on it and made some comment that escapes my memory now. I asked him, "What, is it a wild hair?", "More like a patch of wild hairs!" Say what?! Evidently over a period of who knows how long, I have missed shaving an area under my arms, so I had this Euro-Madonna like thing going on! LOL! I'm thinking, "How in the world did I miss that?" Sure enough, it was balanced - BOTH underarms had hairy patches happening. Now I have to be more intentional while shaving. I mean, I wouldn't want to be in a car accident, wheeled into the ER and then distract the medical workers with my bushy pits, you know? EW - gross! OK, so after this mishap, I started wondering about whose idea was it for women to start shaving in the first place? I tried researching the history of shaving, but I didn't find anything that satisfied my curiosity, so to me it's still a mystery.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

HaHaHa, you're brave for sharing this! I also would not want to be wheeling into the ER with bushy pits, stubbly legs or mismatched Victoria's Secret undergarments. I don't have an answer for you about the history of shaving, and while it can be an annoying chore, I'm glad it was invented. Btw, how nice of your husband to point it out to you. :)

Southerner said...

Did you take the cap off the razor- remember my day when I shaved with the cap on?

Christy said...

Yep, the cap was off, I throw those things away cuz I'm too lazy to replace the cap after each use. Pathetic, I know.

Mandie said...

Perhaps this will help you in your quest:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/625/who-decided-women-should-shave-their-legs-and-underarms

I haven't shaved my legs in weeks (months?), but remember I live in the land of frigid winter where I consider leg hair just as important as long underwear for warmth. My underarm hair? Every time I shower. It is a must. The last time I went longer than 2 days was when String Bean was born. That's because I had a C-section and was in the hospital for 4 days.

Christy said...

Thanks, Mandie. I did see that article and thought 'maybe', but I have a feeling it had started long before WWII. Probably the Ancient Egyptians, they seemed to have been trend setters.

Dean Lusk said...

Now, gee, why would this be TMI??

:)

Tony C said...

It's story like this that will have me coming back to read your blog...lol.

I do enjoy your post. God bless.