Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Excited About God's Word

I might have mentioned earlier (I can't recall) that I received a Chronological Bible for Christmas. Since I thoroughly enjoy history, this Bible is now a treasured item of mine. Just last night I began a new Beth Moore Bible study on the book of Esther. I knew I would like this study because of the historical information Beth is always faithful to share. This morning I had my first homework assignment to complete. Now that I have my chronological Bible, I was able to "see" where Esther fits on the historical timeline - so exciting! This might not seem terribly thrilling to you, but it is to me. I like knowing the details and God is a God of details! Some of the facts that have been pointed out in this study of Esther, is that God's name is not mentioned at all in this book. I never realized that before, because God's work was always evident to me in Esther's experience. Beth was helping us realize that God is still present even when He isn't "seen" - what a comfort that is. Another comfort that comes from this book, at least for me, is that God is sovereign. He sets up rulers to achieve His purpose:

Daniel 2:20-22 "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him."


I know those verses are from Daniel, but they apply to the events in Esther also, as well as our current times.

I also wanted to share with you that I know God wants me to participate in this study. My home church is offering this study on Tuesday mornings, but that time wouldn't work for me, and I was very disappointed. Then a dear friend of mine mentioned that the church where she is attending is offering this study on Tuesday NIGHTS, so I told her to sign me up and I would go with her. Isn't God cool that way? Yes, He is!

One of the questions Beth asked in the first day's homework was, "What are you hoping for as you begin this study?" My answer: "I want to be able to hear God more clearly, see Him more vividly, and feel His touch more intimantly".

(The picture used is Rembrandt Harmeszoon van Rijn's "Assuerus, Haman and Esther" 1660 Oil on canvas - public domain)







8 comments:

Lamarr said...

I'm glad you're going to be studying Esther - though I miss you in our study! Maybe we can find some time to discuss stuff together...?

Caryn said...

Ain't God great?

I know God wanted me at this study too. It is so comforting for me to know that God can move the heart of anyone He pleases, to accomplish His will. No border guard or security detail or building or fence will keep Him out of any presidential office or capitol building or palace or back room covert meeting. He is God, He will accomplish His will! He holds the hearts of kings in His hands! Whose better can we as Believers trust our lives to?

Mandie and Amy said...

I'm doing this study at my church too. Ours is Wednesday morning so I just got back from it!

Brenda said...

How funny, my post for today is about my new bible study. I've only done one Beth Moore study, but really liked it. She has wonderful insights. Also, I would LOVE one of those chronological Bibles. Glad the Esther study worked out for you. Did you ever see that movie, "One Night with the King"? It was really good.

Cecily said...

Those verses in Daniel are the ones I'm having my son memorize this week! I really felt like we needed to be reminded of God's sovereignty. I so wish I could be in the Tuesday study... but I'm not sure how we'd get all our school work done. *sigh. Maybe next year.

Cecily said...

So, I just re-read your post... you are going on Tuesday NIGHTS! That's what I need -- a nighttime option that's not on Sundays.

Christy said...

Cecily, there's still room if you wanna join. The leader will need to order you a book, though. She said they are on back order right now. Let me know if you wanna go.

photoqueen said...

Hi Christy! Is it wrong for me to say that I'm a little jealous? I've read about the Esther study and would LOVE to do it. I've done a few Beth Moore studies and love the way she imparts so much knowledge and truth. I'm glad that you get to do the study - it's so cool how God provided a way for you to do it!