Wednesday, December 17, 2008

mark of the celebs


Let's see if I can verbalize here what's going on in my head today after reading a bit of "news". There was an article about celebrities and their tattoos. So many of them have tattoos these days. Not only celebs, but your average Tom, Dick and Harry, oh and Jane, Suzy and Cindy, too. I know, that's not news, is it? One of the celebs had a bar code tattoo on the back of her neck - a bar code? Weird. I couldn't help but think of the mark of the beast. I know, you're probably thinking I'm weird, but that's what came to my mind. In years past when I would hear about or read about the mark of the beast and how those who don't have it will not be able to buy or sell life-sustaining food and drink, I pictured in my mind how those WITH the mark would definitely stand out. I mean, not long ago having a tattoo was considered taboo (he! he! that rhymed, I always tickle myself when I rhyme). These days so many people have tattoos that one hardly takes a second glance. So, if in the days of tribulation one doesn't have a the mark of the beast, will it be as obvious as I used to think? Of course it will be noticed to an extent, after all people will be checked, but - oh I don't know what I'm trying to say.

3 comments:

Terry said...

I found this interesting comment in the Life Application Study Bible on Revelation 13:16-18..."This mark of the beast is designed to mock the seal that God places on his followers (7:2,3). Just as God marks his people to save them, so Satan's beast marks his people to save them from the persecution that Satan will inflict upon God's followers. Identifying this particular mark is not as important as indentifying the purpose of the mark. Those who accept it show their allegiance to Satan, their willingness to operate within the economic system he promotes, and their rebellion against God. To refuse the mark means to commit oneself entirely to God, preferring death to compromising one's faith in Christ." I thought those were powerful concepts. Also, I once read (or possibly heard) that the mark of beast on the right hand symbolized actions taken on behalf of the beast and the mark on the forehead symbolized thoughts controlled by the beast. If this is true, the mark of the beast will be seen in what people do and how they think, rather than in the form of a physical marking. In some ways, that is a more frightening thought, because it would actually define a person's identity at the deepest levels.

I hope my comment is not too long, but your post provoked some interesting thoughts in me (at least they are interesting to me:). Thanks for sharing your concerns.

Christy said...

I never mind lengthy comments - the more the better!

Pam said...

This is a very thought provoking post. A bar code is very strange!