Thursday, December 25, 2008

I made it through another Christmas

Well, there's another Christmas without Mom under my belt; that makes two now. It came and went rather smoothly. My dad and brothers came over Tuesday night. I made a couple of Mom's recipes - a chicken casserole and home-made rolls, along with sides of green beans, corn and mashed potatoes. The preparation lasted longer than the actual dinner and visiting. Later than night I cried. Christmas Eve my husband worked, but the kids and I went on to visit with his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins anyway. Today we spent Christmas with his parents, sister, brothers and their kids. It was nice, but when my brother-in-law and his wife were leaving to go to her parents house, I cried again. Now I'm home, sharing my pity party here on my blog, watching TV and eating -again! Tomorrow my husband and I plan on taking the kids out shopping. They received money for Christmas and are eager to spend it. I don't relish the thought of waking up early again, but I don't want to be home alone, either. Even though I cried a couple of times, I will admit that this year was easier. I couldn't help but wonder if people in heaven remember those of us left here. I think so, because in Hebrews 12 it talks about a cloud of witnesses. I hope my loved ones remember me. I'm reminded of the song, "I Will Remember You".

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Josh and I had this discussion not too long ago about Tori knowing and remembering us. I wondered the same thing and my answer is yes, too. I know how you felt this Christmas.

Brenda said...

Your post and this song made me cry. I'm sorry the pain of missing your mom is still so deep. Thanks for sharing Hebrews 12. That is an interesting thing to ponder, and she will definitely know you when you see her again.

Dog snob said...

I'm sorry things were so rough.

katdish said...

Hey there!

The holidays are especially tough when you're missing someone you love so much. I am blessed to still have both my parents (even though they don't speak to one another - but that's another ball of wax). Sometimes a good cry is as beneficial as a good belly laugh. Sarah McLaughlin has some great music to reflect on relationships to. Love her! And love your blog, btw. As much as I've seen you on SCL and SFL, you'd think I would have visited before now. (I'm coveting your wallpaper and color combos; reminds me of how I'm decorating my studio, except I'm using red instead of hot pink.)