Monday, December 22, 2008

Another reminder of why I homeschool

Last night I was watching the History Channel, one of my favorite channels. The show was called "Decoding the Past". This particular episode was discussing the Garden of Eden. Most of the time I really enjoy watching the History Channel, and for the most part I consider their information to be factual. However, when it comes to Biblical matters, they are sorely lacking. Of course this comes as no surprise, but it does disturb me. While discussing the Garden of Eden, numerous times comments were made that suggest the Bible contradicts itself. Historical myths were mentioned and compared to the Bible's account of Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden. I have no problem with that, except when it is done in a way that demeans the Word of God. In fact, I've taught my kids about the Epic of Gilgamesh. I do so in way that helps them discern truth vs. myth, not to confuse them. Confusion seems to be the intention of this particular show on the History Channel. They made it seem as if the writers of the Bible (men inspired by God)took the mythical stories and twisted them into their own version. In fact, it was the opposite. Satan is the one who twists the Word of God to fit his needs. If a person truly studies the Bible, word for word, precept upon precept, he/she will find the Bible does not contradict itself. In fact, it's amazing to me to this day to see how the New Testament lines up with the Old Testament. The tabernacle, the feasts - they all point to Jesus Christ being the Messiah. No man, especially several men, could accurately write these things without contradictions arising - there's no way! So after watching "Decoding the Past" last night, I was reminded of why I homeschool my children - I want them to know the truth, and know how to recognize it on their own. I want them to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," I Peter 3:15.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Those kinds of shows can be very frustrating to me for that reason. You're a very wise woman! I admire your desire to homeschool and make sure your kids are learning the truth.