Thursday, November 6, 2008

What have I done now?


Well, I did something today that I swore I would never do again. I offered to teach a class. Yep, I did. Starting next semester I will be teaching 7th-10th grade kids American Sign Language (ASL) for beginners. What possessed me to do such a thing? I have really, really been enjoying having Fridays all to myself from 9-3. Now I've obligated myself to teach in the afternoon. No more "me time", well at least not as much "me time". I have to admit that the reason I decided to do this is because every now and then the crazy idea would come to me, and so today I figured it must be God telling me to do this. Not so much for the kids, necessarily, but for me. Does that sound selfish? I think God wants me to do this so that I can brush up on my ASL and not be so fearful when I plunge back into the Deaf community, which BTW God has been telling me to do again for quite some time now, but I am conviently busy so I haven't done it yet (again with the run-on sentences!). So anyway, there you go.


On a different subject, my husband told me the good news today that 24 will again be on TV November 23rd!

6 comments:

Mandie said...

Oh, boy! Our church just started a deaf ministry, and we could use you as an interpreter. I'm teaching String Bean some signs, too, but she's slow in catching on. I don't know that many, so slow is good for now. *wink*

(my word verification is "wiser")

Anonymous said...

Christy,
That is great. You are able to share your precious gift with others. I don't think it is selfish, to sometimes do things for yourself, especially when it is helping others.
Enjoy this and going back into the community where you can share your gift. Proud of you.
JE

Dog snob said...

I took ASL way back in high school. I remember signing with my friends, who'd also taken it, and no one else could understand us. It was fun.

Can't wait for 24 :)

Terry said...

It's great to be able to teach such an important subject! Keep up the good work.

Brenda said...

Wow, good for you! How wonderful to be able to share a gift and talent like that. Hope you are truly blessed while you help others.

Don't gasp but... I've never watched 24.

Caryn said...

I'm glad you are getting back into signing. I know the kids will enjoy your class...just hope it doesn't cut into coffee time on Fridays! (me, me, me!) I am excited about 24 also! We have the first 5 seasons on dvd...