Monday, November 24, 2008

In Between


Since I'm in between group Bible studies, I've struggled with what I should be reading in the Bible on my own. I know that probably sounds a bit silly, but it's true. It's saddening to me to realize how trivial, daily things come between God and me if I'm not involved in a structured group study. In the past I've tried to read a Psalm and a Proverb each day, and that helps most of the time. However, this time I've just been getting splices of the Word here and there, you know? I recently received a copy of My Utmost for His Highest, or is it My Highest for His Utmost? I don't even remember and I'm too lazy to go get the book from my bedroom. Well, it's a nice devotional book, however, the Scripture given for each day is extremely minimal, so I don't really feel fed after using the book. Well, this morning I decided to ask God what I should read - imagine that! I believe He told me to read James, so James it is. I've done a precept study on James before, so I'm very familiar with the book, but that was years ago. God's Word is so amazing in that a person can do a deep word-by-word study, and yet STILL learn something new every time it's read! I love that about God and His word! So today, after reading James chapter 1, I'm asking God to help me keep a tight reign on my tongue (verse 26) I know that is one of my many faults. So, what are you working on these days?

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I also need to have some sort of bible study homework at all times. My church study is on break now until January so my friend, Carol, and I are working on a Beth Moore study of David. We did half of it through the summer and now we are finishing it through the holidays.

Hope you enjoy going through James again. It is really amazing how we learn something new each time we read it over again.

Caryn said...

I have been reading through the minor prophets and am just finishing up Zachariah. Since I am reading them back to back, I have been struck by how often God foretold the birth of His Son the Messiah through the prophets and how much of God's instruction fell on the deaf ears of His people.

My first reaction has been "how many times does God have to tell them how He expects them to live? They are really stubborn and dense!" My second reaction has been that I am no better, and He convicts me of my rebelliousness and self-righteousness.

How wonderful it is to have a merciful and forgiving God...One who repeats Himself over and over because He loves us and wants us to "get it!"

Lord help me to reconize your voice when You speak to me...

Potpourri of Praise said...

Since our church primarily does Bible studies only during school hours (and I really cannot give up a school day to attend), I tend to be 'on my own.' I am reading thru the a couple of books on prayer (Power of a Praying Wife and Mother). A 'constant' book that I use is Daily Light. It is an old book, I think written in the 1800's?? Anyway, it is pure scripture every day...nothing but the word, but each day's readings are grouped by a theme of some sort. When I read the Billy Graham's wife used this and also gave one to her children and they were all reading the same passages each day, I decided to check it out. It is written in the ESV and I usually highlight the verses that really speak to me and re-read them in my NIV and other translations as well.