Monday, October 27, 2008

Revelation Study

I mentioned in a previous post that my kids and I are studying the book of Revelation together. I wanted to share a few more details about this. We are using the Precept Ministry children's study, Bible Prophecy for Kids. It's an inductive Bible study. It is such a joy to share this way of studying God's Word with my kids. So far we are still learning about the letters to the sevens churches of Asia. The first church, in Ephesus, left their first love and were told to repent and do the deeds they did at first. The second church, in Smyrna, was commended for the persecution they endured and were encouraged not to fear and promised the crown of life. The third church, in Pergamum, was reprooved for allowing false teaching to remain in the church. They were instructed to repent. Those who were not willingly allowing this false teaching, the overcomers, were promised to eat of the hidden manna and a new name written on a stone, which only they and the Giver would know (I think that's pretty cool!). The fourth church, in Thyatira, was scolded for allowing sin in their church. They were told to repent as well. The overcomers in this church were promised authority over the nations and the morning star. The fifth church, in Sardis, was commended for the few people who had not soiled their garments. The others were warned to WAKE UP and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die. The overcomers were promised to wear white garments, not have their names erased from the book of Life as well as having their names confessed before the Father and His angels. WHEW! That's where we have left off. I wanted to let you in on some of the observations my kids have had during this study so far. I hope you understand that I am not boasting about my kids, rather I am boasting about GOD and how He helps even the youngest of children to understand His word (even the book of Revelation!). When we were discussing the church in Sardis, I asked the kids what they thought it meant to have "soiled garments". Without hesitation, my nine-year-old son said, "That means you are living in sin and it's making you dirty". WOW! How did he, a nine-year-old, get all of that from my simple question? I expected them to ask me, "What does 'soiled garments' mean?" and then I would have to explain. But he understood without my explaining it! I was amazed. Later on, my 12-year-old daughter asked me, "Is our church like that?" (talking about the church in Sardis being told to "wake up"). I said that was a good question and why did she ask me that. She went on to share with me some observations she has made on her own. I asked her if she had overheard anyone talking that way, and she said, "No, not really". So I have to assume that this is a Spirit-led conviction. I then told them both that we really need to ask God to show us in His word the truth about ourselves and our church. I said that God will answer us if we study and pray. There are a few places in this study where the kids are instructed to draw a picture of what they've learned. This is a copy of my daughter's drawing the description of Jesus from Revelation chapter 1. (I hope you take the time to read this chapter)

I think it's amazing.

I am thoroughly excited about this study and can't wait to complete it. I am humbled by the observations God has given to my kids. I am thrilled that His Spirit speaks so clearly to them and pray that they will continue to grow in His word. I also pray for our church(es) to WAKE UP and strengthen the things that remain before they die.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

This was very touching to me. How wonderful that they are understanding God's word so well. I might need to get that kid's study version of Revelation for myself. lol! Your daughter's drawing is very nice. :) I'm going to read Rev. ch.1 today.

Potpourri of Praise said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is encouraging to see that your children are listening and learning and trying to filter their experiences to discern the truth.

I remember years ago, helping a friend of mine homeschool her child, and they used the Precept for kids series as their Bible curriculum. I was so impressed by what it covered and how it did so. It might be a good time to add that to our Bible time as well.

Mandie said...

How fantastic!

I just asked my little one (who was holding Noah's wife from the Fisher-Price playets) if Noah's wife was faithful to God. She nodded. lol I'm pretending she actually knew what I was talking about, but nodding and shaking her head are just common responses to everything these days!

Terry said...

I'm constantly amazed at how much children can understand.

Pam said...

That is wonderful how much your kids are picking up from the study. It sounds very interesting.

Mork said...

this is beautiful .....

Caryn said...

Christy,

Your children are very blessed to have you for their mother. I am so excited about how He is growing your kids through your study.

Mike said...

What a wonderful study. I have never heard of anyone diving into Rev with their kids. GReat stuff