Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Raw meat and a wild hare




Actually, I'll start with the wild hare thing first (isn't that what you say when you do some unexpected, crazy kind of thing? You got a wild hare?). Well, for some weird unknown reason I decided to clean out my refrigerator, pantry and three extremely cluttered drawers! This has not been attempted pretty much in years - too many to admit to without thoroughly disgusting my readers. Part of my cleaning included throwing away out-of-date items and junk food. I am bound and determined for my family and me to eat healthy food - LIKE IT OR NOT! OK, sorry about that. So the good thing is I now have a sparkling clean fridge and a well organized pantry that no longer harbors Skittles (sorry, Jon), sugar loaded cereal bars, three-year-old Tootsie rolls, Movie Theatre buttered popcorn (sorry, Dean), who-knows-how-old Italian bread crumbs that were waaaaay in the back collecting dust, and generic powdered hot chocolate that was extremely gross but nobody thought to throw away. Oh, and don't forget the five or six boxes of opened cereal that was stale because nobody liked that either. Of course now I have to go to the grocery store to restock, only this time with more healthy alternatives (let's see how long THAT lasts).
And now to the raw meat. Have I ever expressed to you how much I detest handling raw meat? Well, I HATE IT! Tonight I thought I would surprise the kids with hot chicken wings. I thought it would be simple. However, the wings were frozen (b/c this was a last minute decision) and after I thawed them in the microwave and opened the packages I noticed they weren't seperated yet, so I had to cut them apart. YUCK! I cannot stand the feeling of raw meat in my hands, much less trying to cut through bone and cartilage! Then after I get them out of the oven (they were the kind you cook in a bag with the seasoning) and onto the table, I'm not totally convinced that they are all thoroughly cooked. If the thought ever enters my head about uncooked meat, my appetite totally hits the road and doesn't look back. So I didn't eat dinner with the kids tonight. Let's hope my kids don't end up in the hospital from my cooking. If it were to happen, it would be tonight when my hubby is at the fire station. All bad things happen when he's at the fire station.

Well, time to go. The kids are pestering me to watch the movie The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. I've had enough of chicken tonight, but oh well.

BTW, the picture of the dog has nothing to do with the post, as I'm sure you guessed. I just liked it. ;0)



8 comments:

caryn said...

The dog picture may have nothing to do with your post, but it sure looks like our Leia!

Mandie said...

Raw meat...I'll have to agree with you on that one. Yuck. Very gross.

And for the record, I don't think that dog looks anything like Leia.

Southerner said...

Hey, I found your blog because Darryl looks at Dean's and I was looking at the commentors. I was seeing if Christy was you. I have cut up chickens since we first married- it grossed me out at first but it was do it or starve because I had to make a chicken stretch in those days! I totally lose my appetite if I think too much. We stopped at McD's one morning and I got a chicken biscuit. The kids thought that was the grosest thing and we asking how I could eat chicken for breakfast. I had just taken a bite and I couldn't swallow it. I was thinking too much about how I was eating a chicken. I had to spit it out.

Missed you Tuesday. We had a lot of people out.

Anonymous said...

I also hate to touch raw meat. I have been told to use those plastic lunchroom type gloves. So, if it grosses you out to touch it, try those. If it is some other reason, get over it! :) Just kidding. I am the same about chicken or any raw meat for that matter. I have to know it is done or I cannot even think about eating it. Freddy on the other hand... well, we won't go there. :)

Julie

Mork said...

Sushi? ...anyone?

Dog snob said...

YES YES YES!! I am so with you on the raw meat thing. I can't tell you how often I cook and can't eat because I lose my appetite after dealing with the raw meat. Honestly, I don't like meat in the first place so having to see, smell and feel it raw just makes it worse.

Brenda said...

This post made me laugh out loud about all the old food you were digging out of the pantry. I could relate. It's such a good feeling though having clean drawers, pantry and refrigerator, isn't it?

Yeah, the raw meat thing is definitely gross, but it doesn't seem to kill my appetite. :)

I love "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" movie. Maybe I'll rent that.

Christy said...

Well, I went to restock the fridge and pantry today. I spent a whopping $224 and some odd cents! EEEEKKK!

Oh the good news is, nobody got sick from my cooking. Thank you, Lord!