Saturday, October 4, 2008

Let us pray - NOT!

From today's headlines, prayer and Christianity being "sued" once again. I can't stand it! I mean, what's the big deal that the US has a national day of prayer? No one is forced to participate. It's not like we all have to stop right where we are at a certain time and pray. Prayer is a very personal thing that can be done anywhere at anytime without anyone else even knowing it. But because there's an actual day set aside for national prayer, the atheists and agnostics whine about it and now are suing people over it. It just doesn't make sense. Yes, I've asked myself, "What if it were a national day of Muslim prayer?". Well, I wouldn't have to participate in it because so far the US is still the land of the free. There's no way I'd go out and sue anyone over such a thing. Of course I'm not surprised by this attack on prayer and Christianity, I'm just annoyed.

On a different subject - the only thing that I'm enjoying about this year's presidential campaign is watching all of Hollywood's celebrities get their panties in a wad over Sarah Palin! It's so obvious that the darkness can't stand the light and seeing them all shriek, wail and lash out just proves it.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

"It creates a hostile environment"... Oh Pleeezze! How ridiculous. Like you said, I'm not surprised either and I know their is much more to come.

Dean Lusk said...

Arise, O God, and defend your cause.
   Remember how these fools insult you all day long.
Don’t overlook what your enemies have said
   or their growing uproar.
Psalm 74:22-23

I'm still hunting for the correct way to react to these kinds of things. This is in the same category with TV shows that portray Christians as stupid, promote sex, etc. I want to be indignant, but that's a fleshly reaction, whether the cause is justified or not. Every time we stand up and angrily speak out against our rights being trampled upon, we give ammo to "the other side."

So, what should we do about these kinds of things? How do we offer a Godly, wise, measured response? Do we step back and wait for God to take care of these things supernaturally, or do we speak out as His representatives?

What reaction brings the most glory and honor to the name of the Lord?

Terry said...

Christy,
I was reading Psalm 123 this morning before I read your blog and I thought that these verses went along well with your post:

"Have mercy on us, O LORD, have mercy on us,
for we have endured much contempt.
We have endure much ridicule from the proud,
much contempt from the arrogant" (Psalm 123:2-4, NIV).