Sunday, August 31, 2008

Nooo.... Really?


While reading the news online, pretty much the only way I'm informed these days, I see this headline about flies, "They See It Coming". The short article is about how flies can see people coming at them and how quickly they react. Seriously, a study was needed to learn this? I thought that was common knowledge. How many times does it take you to kill a fly? I know I'm a pretty comical figure myself, chasing and swatting at the nasty things, occasionally muttering under my breath something that not's exactly spiritually uplifting. My mom was quite the ninja fly swatter, though. She could kill them with one swift swat. I did not inherit her skills, so I usually throw down my fly swatter after several minutes of frustration. I have to wait until the pesky things are stuck behind the window blinds and then I swat at them, blinds and all. Yes, I'm sure I will need to replace my window blinds fairly soon. But a scientific study was done to inform the world how quickly the little fly brain responds for survival take-off when it sees someone menacingly approaching. How 'bout that?

5 comments:

Terry said...

The next scientific study will try to determine whether kids like pizza. I wonder what they will discover?

Christy said...

he he! Good one!

Mike said...

Nothing like research money well spent.

Brenda said...

This is funny! I can get angry instantly while chasing a fly around the house. Did the article explain the secret is to wait until they land and not try to ninja swat them in mid air?

Mork said...

Yeah - I read the Article as well and thought the same. I know summer is comming because we had our first Blowfly the other day - sneaked through the fly wire, he did.