Thursday, July 31, 2008

overreacting?


While out shopping today in a few department stores, I was extremely disappointed with some things that I heard and saw. The first store that I stopped in had some really cute things on sale, so I was excited I stopped by. I already had an item in my hand that I intended to purchase when I noticed what was playing on the store's 'radio'. It was the usual shopping music but then a commercial of sorts came on. It was a lady's voice, like the one you hear on many GPS systems. She was saying, "Don't dress preppy - that's not cool." OK, I thought that was kinda dumb. Then she says "Go to www. whatever. com" (I don't remember the exact address) then she says, "But don't ask your mom, 'cause you're too old for that." WHAT? EXCUSE ME? Don't ask your mom?! That really ticked me off. I ask to see the store manager. I am totally keeping my cool, not at all showing the frustration that I'm feeling. The manager approaches me. She looks MAYBE 18 or 19 years old. Well, I tell her, "I'm really disappointed. There are a lot of cute things in here, but I'm bothered by what was said on the radio. You probably don't even realize or pay attention to what's being said since you hear it all day." She nods. I then tell her what I just told you about the "don't tell your mom" thing. She said, "It was probably just talking about..." and then she turns her head away from me, distracted by something or someone else, so I didn't really catch what she said. I then told her that I simply did not appreciate anyone telling my kid not to come to me, so I would no longer be shopping there and I wanted her to know why. I then thanked her for listening to me and I left. That wasn't the end of my disappointment for today. The LAST store that I went into looked OK at first. It was your usual teeny bopper kind of place, loud music, lots of T-shirts and low waisted pants, but what bothered me there was a specific black T-shirt with different colored letters written on the front of this shirt in the GIRLS SECTION that read, "I kissed a girl, and I liked it!". OK! I won't be going there again, either. So what do you think? Did I overreact?

7 comments:

Potpourri of Praise said...

No, I don't think you overreacted at all. I'd love to know the store names, if you don't mind sharing. I admire your willingness to try to explain your position to the manager, even if it was not well received.

Christy said...

Goody's was the one with the radio message. Rue 21 was the one with the offensive t-shirt.

B. said...

That is so depressing. Yes, I think you did the right thing.

Kevin Davis said...

That's why I stopped shopping at teenie-bopper stores. Wait - nevermind.

Mike said...

No we see this sort of stuff all the time. It bugs us too.

Mork said...

LOVE to go shopping with you!!! It would be a hoot.

Terry said...

Few people have the courage to confront something wrong face-to-face like you did. You did the right thing!

I have not seen the t-shirt, but I heard a report on the radio that a new singer (I forgot her name) just hit #1 on the charts with a song called "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It." This sort of thing is very common in our culture. Thanks for going against the currents.