Thursday, July 24, 2008

My life flashed before my eyes


One of the things we did while were away over the weekend was to go to a water park. I don't really know what the name of the ride is called (maybe the "Sidewinder" but I'm not sure) we refer to it as "The Drop". First you stand in line to wait for a tube to ride in. Then you stand in another line to get to the top of the ride where you will literally be pushed over the edge and drop four stories! Now, while I'm waiting in this line, which happens to be aluminum or steel winding stairs (whose bright idea was THAT to have metal stairs to wait on in the sweltering heat and the sun shining down!?) I'm just looking around people watching to keep my mind off of what I'm about to do. Haley is the one who begged and begged and coerced me into going. Of course Dwight, Dawson and his buddy were right along there trying to convince me of how fun this will be. So I'm people watching and minding my own business, hopping from one foot to the other to try and avoid getting blisters on my feet, when Dawson says something like, "Hey, Mom. You're about to fall four stories!". "Thanks, son, I appreciate the reminder, now SHUT UP!" Of course I didn't say the "shut up" part out loud. We finally get to the top. Haley and I are the first out of our group to go. We are at the edge and I start reciting, "The Lord is my shepherd. The Lord is my shep------herrr---AAGHHHHHHH!" I thought I was falling to my death! Seriously, I couldn't stop screaming and (sorry to add this visual) the bottom of my swim suit was coming off! So, not only am I holding on for dear life, I am now worried about dying with my hiney showing for all the world to see! Oh, and don't forget the humiliating experience of trying to get out of this two-person ring without looking like an injured wildebeest! Ah, yes, family time - good times - NOT! BTW - it doesn't look as bad as I described it to be, but trust me - it's a long way to fall for scaredy cats like me!

3 comments:

Tony M said...

Sounds like fun! Maybe...

Mike said...

Wow. That was a wild ride. It is sometimes the shocks in life that wake us up. It's good to scream.

Mork said...

It is great to see - you past THE TEST - with your pride intact. Your next test will be ......, nah I'm keeping it a secret. But be afraid ... be very afraid ....