Monday, July 7, 2008

broccoli, spiders and worms - oh my!

Just in case you're wondering how the garden is doing, I'm here to inform you that it is doing very well - praise be to God! The zucchini is starting to slow down - mainly thanks to that wascally wabbit that invaded my garden a couple of weeks ago. The squash is still doing well. I froze several of them both as well as some creamed corn.
The tomatoes are finally beginning to ripen, the corn is delicious and the cucumbers are coming in by the bucket loads! Today I also harvested some green beans and broccoli.
The broccoli, however, had several little visitors that didn't want to let go. They were itty bitty green catepillar looking worms holding on for dear life to the broccoli heads. I didn't even noticed these guys until I began washing the veggies. I was closely inspecting (thank goodness) the broccoli and noticed them squirming about - yuck! There were two to three of these buggers on one little broccoli head. It made me wonder how many worms we have unknowlingly eaten in the past. There was also a spider, but he drowned more easily than the worms did. Needless to say it wasn't very appetizing.


Tonight we had corn on the cob, cucumbers and grape tomatoes to go along with our BBQ. It is very gratifying to eat of the food we have sown and harvested.



God is good!


4 comments:

Mork said...

WE had a BBQ tonight, it's 10c out on the patio, I kind off hoping we can have our summer back, the veges comming out of the garden look great!!! I enjoy gardening that's a little what I teach but more conservation and land management.

Potpourri of Praise said...

YUM! Your veggies look great...minus the critters of course:)

Christy said...

Thanks for stopping by. I read your blog but wasn't able to comment for some reason. I'll check in again and maybe there won't be a problem later.

Potpourri of Praise said...

I'll try to see what the problem is. I may have set up too many safeguards:(