Friday, June 20, 2008

Rod Stewart and Biblical Truths

Who would've thought that God could use a Rod Stewart song to teach me, actually remind me of a Biblical truth? Not me! But He did. While I was mowing the grass yesterday, I was listening to one of the radio stations that plays the songs I grew up listening to - you know, they're called "oldies" now by some - GRRR! Anyway, Young Turks comes on and I'm listening, head bopping, choking down dirt and grass that's hitting me in the face, when I hear the line "Young hearts be free tonight. Time is on your side. Don't let them put you down, don't let 'em push you around. Don't let 'em ever change your point of view". So it's after I hear this line that God reminds me of I Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." (see link for full chapter in context)

OK, here comes the painful part of this post - conviction and confession. I've been having doubts lately about young people having leadership roles in my church. Not that I don't like and care for these young people, it's just that their age bugged me. I thought that they could not possibly be spiritually old enough if they aren't physically old enough. That's been my view. I admit also that I have not only been thinking about this, but I have actually been praying about it. So, when God reminded me of 1 Timothy 4:12, I was convicted and asked God to forgive me. I said, "God, if you have called (I'll leave names out to protect the innocent) so-and-so into this ministry, then who am I to question that?" So, I've made peace with God on this issue. I am so extremely grateful when God reveals Himself to me and speaks to me. Even while cutting the grass and listening to Rod Stewart. Isn't God awesome? I think so.

Now, I want to add that I hesitated to share this post because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings about how I've been feeling lately. However, I think it's vital that we share with one another the things that God reveals to us so that we can build one another up in Christ. "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16

Just for fun click here for the Young Turks video. Who knows, maybe straight legged jeans and bandanas will come back in style!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The jeans ARE back but they call them "skinny" jeans now. Personally I hope the "big" hair never comes back,mine is to fine and straight, LOL but seriously thanks for sharing. Deanna