Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Reading the Classics

I've promised myself that I would read more classics, and I've done a pretty good job of doing that. My recent read was the book Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I was shocked, intrigued, repulsed, and at times bored. The shock came from the detailed description of the crime committed. The intrigue was due to the character's inner struggle. I was repulsed by the fact that the novel strongly mirrors reality (I had a few bads dreams when I read right before I went to sleep). I was bored towards the end of the story because the author swayed from the main character to other characters, which I didn't think really added anything. That's my humble opinion anyway.

I decided to begin to read through the classics because: 1) It was NOT required reading at the school I attended and so I was curious. 2) I just really love to read. 3) If at some point I'm going to ask my kids to read them, I think I should read them first.

Next I will be reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. It's a pretty thick book (a little intimidating), so it might take me a while. I don't get as much free time for reading like I used to. But stayed tuned... perhaps I'll share my critique on that one as well. (I know, you simply can't wait!)

No comments: